Question VMware (Win10) on a Win10 system

Jun 6, 2022
Hi guys,

I will build a new PC very soon ( I'v got almost all components) and I will install Win10 for my small music studio. I like to be offline when It comes to recording and working on DAW.
However, I like to have Internet and sometimes play online games. I would like to know If you think this is a good idea to have VMware (with a seperate Win10 Online) on my studio system ?

In this way, when I would like to go online, playing my games or doing other tasks for my student purposes, It will protect my main Win10 (Offline mode for studio), but I need to find a way active Internet only on my VMWare.

What do you think about that ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Vincent

If your primary Windows installation does not have internet available to it and is disabled, then it won't be available to your VM either. You can have internet available to your primary installation but not to your VM, but I do not believe it is possible to do it the other way around. The host machine must have internet access in order for the guest system to have it based on what I know regarding these configurations.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In my own uninformed opinion of it, I think I would rather have the online and updated W10 on the RM side and keep the editing rig on the VM without. Admittedly, IDK what issues you could run into there in reference to the hardware you are using to capture and edit music.

With that said, W10 is going to want to be both online and updated and will throw messages (read as complaints) about inability to update. W7, on the other hand, can have no online presence and any of the messages and such can be "muted" (as it were) so as not to hassle you about it.
W7 is no longer supported, but if your software and hardware for the editing can be utilized on it, and you aren't going to be online it might be worth giving a go.

My own unsolicited advice in regard to this is to utilize separate physical machines.

Although, maybe I'm wrong. Seems here, although I have not tried it myself, that it can be done. I too wouldn't recommend it. It will likely end up being more hassle than it's worth considering all the nagging you're going to encounter from the OS. Having separate machines really would be the best method as I don't think using the VM for the audio work is a great idea since you'll likely be introducing a significant degree of latency/lag into the production. I don't know if that matters to you or not, but if you want to do it that way check the link below.

https://superuser.com/questions/277...cept-for-a-virtual-machine-and-windows-update

Jun 6, 2022
W7 is no longer supported, but if your software and hardware for the editing can be utilized on it, and you aren't going to be online it might be worth giving a go.

My old computer worked with Win7, It was awesome and honestly, I was thinking about your idea , but new motherboard and some softwares slowly starting to only work on win10 :p

USAFRet

Titan
The Host system needs to have internet access.
The Guest, either on or off.

The Host needs access to get security updates. This happens about every other day at the least.
This is a listing of Security updates for Defender in Win 10, just over the last week:
k7cNaqy.jpg

If your system is offline, you wouldn't get those. Leaving the system vulnerable.

My own unsolicited advice in regard to this is to utilize separate physical machines.
Buying two systems is a bit too much when dual boot is all it needs, and as an additional safeguard you can turn the router off whenever you want to run the "secure" one.
If you are really paranoid get a case with removable/swappable hdd bays so you can take out whatever hdd you want to not be affected while running the other one.

Jun 6, 2022
If you are really paranoid get a case with removable/swappable hdd bays so you can take out whatever hdd you want to not be affected while running the other one.

Haha, well, It's really for the performance and minimize the glitchs to get the full power of the system to run my VST, sounds, plugins, etc. My previous system was Offline and the speed, available memory, available CPU were not changed after several years and was very stable. I like your idea about dual boot, It seems pretty straight to the point :p. One boot offline for music and the other boot online, system processes, etc. will not be affected by each other.

The idea to change the IP adress for the host system ( example a bad IP adress) and to put a good IP adress in my VMWare Win10, It should not work, cause I like this idea too ?

Jun 6, 2022
Although, maybe I'm wrong. Seems here, although I have not tried it myself, that it can be done. I too wouldn't recommend it. It will likely end up being more hassle than it's worth considering all the nagging you're going to encounter from the OS. Having separate machines really would be the best method as I don't think using the VM for the audio work is a great idea since you'll likely be introducing a significant degree of latency/lag into the production. I don't know if that matters to you or not, but if you want to do it that way check the link below.

https://superuser.com/questions/277...cept-for-a-virtual-machine-and-windows-update

I anderstand your point, that why I think so far, dual booting seems to be the easiest way according to many and I'm leaning towards that idea.

Using a very strict firewall could also be interesting which could prevent unwanted software or processes from installing and taking energy from the system, I could try this way too . Do you think this idea could work well If I use the computer in a safe way on Internet ?

Last edited:
Except that you're looking at this all wrong because Windows is STILL going to try using those resources. The fact that it will be unable to gain access to the internet isn't going to stop it from repeatedly trying. In fact, it might actually use MORE resources than it would if allowed to do it's thing. Windows doesn't actually use a tremendous amount of resources to perform it's updates and security checks, so unless you decide to go with hardware that is far less capable than what you need to perform the tasks you want to perform, resources shouldn't be a problem.

Most newer hardware has plenty of cores and threads to satisfy the majority of applications, even with serious multitasking, AND run it's background processes without so much as a glitch. I can't really see not allowing the system access to the internet gaining you anything in terms of performance. If it was STRICTLY a security concern, then maybe it could make sense although you'd still want to periodically allow it to update to the latest security definitions and patches, but even then unless you are running a very mission critical and sensitive operation it hardly makes sense except to the ultra paranoid.

But, not my call. So yeah, if your heart is set on it then either a dual boot or multiple devices is likely your best bet.

Jun 6, 2022
Except that you're looking at this all wrong because Windows is STILL going to try using those resources. The fact that it will be unable to gain access to the internet isn't going to stop it from repeatedly trying. In fact, it might actually use MORE resources than it would if allowed to do it's thing. Windows doesn't actually use a tremendous amount of resources to perform it's updates and security checks, so unless you decide to go with hardware that is far less capable than what you need to perform the tasks you want to perform, resources shouldn't be a problem.

Most newer hardware has plenty of cores and threads to satisfy the majority of applications, even with serious multitasking, AND run it's background processes without so much as a glitch. I can't really see not allowing the system access to the internet gaining you anything in terms of performance. If it was STRICTLY a security concern, then maybe it could make sense although you'd still want to periodically allow it to update to the latest security definitions and patches, but even then unless you are running a very mission critical and sensitive operation it hardly makes sense except to the ultra paranoid.

But, not my call. So yeah, if your heart is set on it then either a dual boot or multiple devices is likely your best bet.

I must admit that you make me think a lot with your opinion from an outside point of view. It is true that over the years, computers are getting stronger and it may become less essential to put them Offline. If I get to the point where the difference between an online and offline system makes a difference, that would mean my system isn't powerful enough to start with haha.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and opinion,