Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Key bits of info:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximum VIII Ranger
CPU: i7-6700k
cooler: Corsair H90
memory: DDR4-3200
other cooling: plenty of fans

Looking to get to a stable overclock for my new rig. After reading guides, i went to 4600mhz with a voltage of 1.35. I'm also using the XMP profile of my memory to get to the 3200.

I then ran a 4 hour stress test with RealBench while monitoring with CPU-Z and HWmonitor. The stress test passed with max CPU temp of 77 degrees and other temps looking good as well.

However, I noticed that that average CPU voltage reported during the test (by both CPU-z and HWmonitor) was 1.376v. At one point it spiked even higher. Even at idle the reported voltage is 1.36.

I don't get how it's that high if I set the manual voltage in the BIOS to 1.35v.

I want to get this figured out before I start lowering voltages so I can find my minimum stable voltage.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
LLC is Load-Line Calibration. It is meant to reduce vdroop so you get a more stable vcore delivered to the cpu at idle and at load. So if you set your vcore to 1.35, the vcore should be within around 1.35V.
About the vcore, I meant you can start and see if your system is stable at 1.25v for 4.6Ghz. It's probably unlikely unless you have a lucky 6700k. If it is not stable, keeping increasing the voltage until stable. I would find a stable vcore that way for a certain Ghz rather than working backwards from 1.35v.

YellowHorizon

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

Whoa, really. I have no idea what LLC is. It's still on auto.

So if I bring that to one of those levels I can lower the vcore?

LLC is Load-Line Calibration. It is meant to reduce vdroop so you get a more stable vcore delivered to the cpu at idle and at load. So if you set your vcore to 1.35, the vcore should be within around 1.35V.
About the vcore, I meant you can start and see if your system is stable at 1.25v for 4.6Ghz. It's probably unlikely unless you have a lucky 6700k. If it is not stable, keeping increasing the voltage until stable. I would find a stable vcore that way for a certain Ghz rather than working backwards from 1.35v.

Solution