Voltage issue?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imgooch

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I'm having an issue and hoping someone can help me figure out the source of the problem.

Recently I found that when gaming, my computer would shut down instantly. No crash/blue screen, not restart, no error....nothing, as if i just pulled the plug. Windows doesn't even realize it wasn't shut down properly on restart. I'm not sure when it started for sure. I hadn't played any games in a few months, then I updated my video drivers, and it began to happen. I have noticed no other issues whatsoever. The games function fine as well as everything else.

My first thought was the video drivers of course so I used a driver cleaner and reinstalled the one I had used previously. No change.

I then installed SpeedFan to check on temps. Here is a screenshot of it:

ScreenShot-Speedfan.png

This is actually a test from AFTER I installed a new PSU. It appears to be just about the same as the test I ran with my older PSU. This test is why I bought a new one to begin with...which appears to have been a waste. The problem still persists (shut off after gaming for a couple minutes) even with the new PSU.

So as you can see, the voltages seem to be way off. Is this possible? Could there be an error in the testing? What other issue might I have if it's not the PSU? What other tests could I run? Should I return the new PSU now?

On another note, what are the Temp 1, 2, and 3 in SpeedFan? I'm not sure what they are referencing and don't know how a temp 3 of 125C is even possible. Especially since this is just after being shut down for a while.

thanks for any input!

Oh and my specs:

Win7
Radeon HD 5770
Phenom II X4 925
can't recall anything else.