Voltage on 8700k OC

Jun 1, 2018
Hello,

I realize 5.3 GHz isn't needed but I'm pushing for bragging rights. In AI Suites my CPU temp is showing about 70C under 100% load with a VCore fixed at 1.50 volts. In HWmonitor, low 80s.

5.2 GHz very stable at 1.425 volts which is what Silicon Lottery suggests but they also suggest AVX which I'm not using. (AI Suites 60C)

Delid with liquid metal and a copper IHS with a custom loop is allowing my temps to be as low as they are.

AVX - 0
LLC - 5
Multi - 53
Bus - 100
All Cores synced

Since my temps are good is it safe to push to the max 1.52 volts Intel states in specifications for this chip? I think 1.505 will be enough but I'm thinking I might be flying to close to the sun. At 1.5, I can hold for about 20+ minutes in real bench. Prime 95 26.6 has no issues.
At 1.500 on my Asus Hero X it changed from a normal color in the bios to a warning color which has me thinking. If the chip goes $350 will not kill me but it isn't healthy for my wallet either.

Thanks for any advice.

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi robhoeth,

I wouldn't go over 1.42V for daily usage. More than that, i tend to recomment to stay below 1.35-1.38V for daily usage.
With the i7 8700k, you have more than enough power at stock speed (4.7GHz).

Rodolphe.

don't know if the issues were ever corrected, but AI Suites has been buggy for a long time - causing conflicts in BIOS and false temp readings. My first build, i relied on AI Suites III for temps, using it's "performance utility". While rendering video files, i never saw temps go above 67C but my cpu was throttling (load would bounce from 98% to 100% back down to 98%, and repeat

i downloaded another temp utility and it showed temps at 100C - i downloaded intel's XTU and it showed the same

research it, but Asus even has an AI Suite Cleaner to help remove it, after un-installing it you run the cleaner utility in safe mode

fwiw

Jun 1, 2018
AI Suites I only use for monitoring. The temps aren't incorrect as many think, it's socket temps compared to core temps. I use it because it is easier to keep track of everything when benching. I'm not exceeding low 80s for core temps. Which is about 70C in AI Suites. Temps are definitely good at 5.3 GHz and 1.500 volts. Just want to get a solid 5.3 for bragging rights which I think are just a 0.005 volts or two away. Just not sure if anyone else is going as high in volts.

1.425 volts is what Silicon Lottery states for everyday use for their 5.2 GHz. I can't find what they recommend for 5.3, but have read this bin chip at least did exist.