Question Voltage problem or something else?

Jul 10, 2023
I have gotten really high temperatures (even over 90 on the cpu) and both the armoury crate software and HWiNFO show constant jumps in voltage used by cpu (0.702V up to 1.501V) and cpu MHz goes from around 1000 to 5200ish both of those spiked were happening pretty much every second while cpu usage was at 9% and no other programs were running.

the q-led red light (VGA/CPU error) turned on and went off yesterday, this may sound dumb but im also pretty sure i heard a zapping sound from inside the case when that happened.

Could it be that something isnt connected properly? Or is it a power issue? Or a defected component? All the parts were bought brand new from a shop 3 days ago

Pc specs:
Mobo: Tuf gaming b660m-plus wifi Cpu: intel i7 13700k
Cooler: BeQuiet pure rock2 black
Gpu: msi rtx 4070 ventus3x
Psu: seasonic b12 bc-850
Ram: corsair vengeance (2x16gb) ddr5

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
In themselves, 90C plus the wide ranging voltage and frequencies, are all perfectly normal on a modern CPU when it boosts from idle to maximum, but the low 9% CPU usage at high temperatures is not normal, nor is the "zapping sound" which is worrying.

Have you checked the 24-way ATX, 4/8-way 12v EPS and PCIe 6/8-way GPU power connectors are all plugged in firmly? It can take a degree of force to get these connectors to "seat" properly. If any power connectors are only half inserted, you might hear an audible "pop".

Jul 10, 2023
In themselves, 90C plus the wide ranging voltage and frequencies, are all perfectly normal on a modern CPU when it boosts from idle to maximum, but the low 9% CPU usage at high temperatures is not normal, nor is the "zapping sound" which is worrying.

Have you checked the 24-way ATX, 4/8-way 12v EPS and PCIe 6/8-way GPU power connectors are all plugged in firmly? It can take a degree of force to get these connectors to "seat" properly. If any power connectors are only half inserted, you might hear an audible "pop".
I know its normal on a modern cpu but all cores running on 5287MHz while the cpu usage is at 7-9% usage doesnt seem normal and the q-led light on the mobo turning on make me think that something is wrong.

I think they are all plugged in as firmly as they can be but this is my first build so it is possible that something isn't plugged in the right way.

This is the third day since i set the pc up and yesterday is the first time the q-led came on

Out of 24 available logical processors 9% is about two full cores so you might have something running that uses two cores, normally the CPU would only boost the two favored cores in this situation and leave all the others at low clocks.
If your mobo is configured badly it will boost all cores to the same clocks even if only two cores are needed resulting in way more heat than necessary.
Go into bios and make sure all the turbo features are on, and disable any MCE or other mobo enhancements.

And even though 1.5Vcore should be ok I would lower that limit to 1.45-1.4

Jul 10, 2023
Out of 24 available logical processors 9% is about two full cores so you might have something running that uses two cores, normally the CPU would only boost the two favored cores in this situation and leave all the others at low clocks.
If your mobo is configured badly it will boost all cores to the same clocks even if only two cores are needed resulting in way more heat than necessary.
Go into bios and make sure all the turbo features are on, and disable any MCE or other mobo enhancements.
All BIOS settings are on default because i havent changed anything. Could you be more specific about the "MCE" part?

I was also told that i should set svid behavior to normal and core voltage to somewhere between 1.25 to 1.30v and load line calibration to 4 or5.

Should i do that? Would it be of any help?

All BIOS settings are on default because i havent changed anything. Could you be more specific about the "MCE" part?

I was also told that i should set svid behavior to normal and core voltage to somewhere between 1.25 to 1.30v and load line calibration to 4 or5.

Should i do that? Would it be of any help?
MCE=multi core enhancement it clocks all cores to the same clock, it's like the fixed overclock of the past.
It could be called something else in your mobo, according to a very fast google search it might be this one.
You would turn it to disabled - enforce all limits
Do this first and lets see how temps and vcore change from that before changing lots of things at once.
asus-mce.jpg

Jul 10, 2023
MCE=multi core enhancement it clocks all cores to the same clock, it's like the fixed overclock of the past.
It could be called something else in your mobo, according to a very fast google search it might be this one.
You would turn it to disabled - enforce all limits
Do this first and lets see how temps and vcore change from that before changing lots of things at once.
asus-mce.jpg
If i turn it off then all cores are on maximum frequencies and if i turn it off then i get constant jumps that i've mentioned temps are around the same with it disabled and enabled

I dont know if its of any importance but i should also mention i have noticed that my ram is running at around 2400ish MHz when its supposed to be at 4800
Where are you seeing 2400? If it's something like CPU-Z that's because it's reading the speed of the memory. DDR is Double Data Rate so 2x per clock so your memory should be running around 2400 mhz.
If i turn it off then all cores are on maximum frequencies and if i turn it off then i get constant jumps that i've mentioned temps are around the same with it disabled and enabled
MCE should have zero impact on core behavior like that. I'd suggest resetting your entire BIOS to defaults and then going in and turning MCE off. MCE is basically auto overclocking so it will ignore power limits and the like.

Jul 10, 2023
Where are you seeing 2400? If it's something like CPU-Z that's because it's reading the speed of the memory. DDR is Double Data Rate so 2x per clock so your memory should be running around 2400 mhz.

MCE should have zero impact on core behavior like that. I'd suggest resetting your entire BIOS to defaults and then going in and turning MCE off. MCE is basically auto overclocking so it will ignore power limits and the like.
As i said If i turn MCE off then all cores are on maximum frequencies and if i turn it on then i get constant jumps that i've mentioned temps are around the same with it disabled and enabled