Volume too low - but all settings are maxed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2013
Bought a Gateway laptop ne series Windows 8 and I have the volume at max settings and can barely hear anything except Windows sounds. How can I fix this?

Solution
one thing can help is the following. Right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'. Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button. Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'. Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
one thing can help is the following. Right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'. Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button. Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'. Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

Solution
Aug 11, 2013
Thanks for your help. Did all that and nothing. Ended up Calling Gateway getting someone in India and they said that their Gateway ne series with windows 8 had a defect and tried to get me to pay $50 to make the fix. Bull! I took it back and got my money back. I'm on my Toshiba with Vista. I think I'm just going to upgrade to windows 7. I will also stay away from Gateway!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
damn, think they would test these things - too much in a hurry to push old stock with shiny new operating system to increase sales.

If you do buy another laptop for the sake of newer hardware can i suggest Asus, they're one of the best.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Haven't used 8 so couldn't tell you but been on 7 for a few years and love it but drivers will be easier to come by for 7 since its been out longer.

http://www.asus.com/ - main language site
http://www.asus.com/in/ - India

Asus, some of the parts and units they make are motherboards, graphics cards, tvs, monitors. They're one of the leaders\if not the leader in quality.

But Toshiba and Acer are good laptops too.

aliakoch8

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Thank you so much! This completely fixed my problem!!

oldlozzer

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Just applied this to my 8 year old Toshiba that seemed to have suddenly developed a low volume. Worked a treat - thank you!

Kriterian

Reputable
May 1, 2014

I know this is a year old but this helped me with my low volume problem. Just wanted to say thank you, you're a life saver.

mh8

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
On Win 8.1, rightclick the Soundbar icon in the taskbar, select Playback Devices, select Advanced tab, and UNCHECK the box that says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". Hit Apply, then OK.

Worked for me anyway. Hope this helps you.

feodoric2

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

This solution should be highlighted, moved up this thread and posted in full view of everybody struggling with the same issue. A simple one, but definitely widespread. And the solution was very concisely and very simply presented, and this is not obvious at all, so it's a highly useful trick to know. I'm so glad I finally found that solution in this forum! But it took me much precious time to find it. The person who proposed it as a solution (boju) is a hero and should receive a medal :)

So please let's advertise Boju's Recipe for success clearly and more visibly. It deserves a fairer treatment!

WolfGrid

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

Thanks mate! This is worked for me too on Win 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS