Vote Now! Most Memorable Protagonist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
The vote is on! Click here to vote on your definitive list of PC Games.

The Tom's Hardware Definitive List of PC Games: Most Memorable Protagonist

Are we living in a new "golden age" for PC Gaming? Of course, it is impossible to give a definitive answer. The distance of time and a heaping dose of nostalgia are both necessary prerequisites for any "golden age". And, while it may be easy to argue the merits of one generation over another, one thing is abundantly clear: PC Gaming in 2017 is more widespread and more accessible than ever before. The maturation of digital distribution, a new diversity of platforms, and the adoption of x86 CPU architecture by console manufactures have together, created the perfect environment for a PC Gaming renaissance. PC Gamers have access to more games than ever before, including overlooked titles from past generations and current games that would have been either too costly or too difficult to port. Games are so ubiquitous that you're more likely to hear complaints of having too many games, rather than too few. The number of "good" games is now so great that even the hardest of the most hardcore gamers struggle in their search to find the very best.

To help navigate this brave new world for gaming, Tom's Hardware is in the process of assembling the definitive list of PC games in a number of genres. We've already put a few lists together, but the number of titles is lacking. While the Tom's Hardware Editorial team is few in number, the Tom's Hardware Community is legion. With your input we hope to assemble a list of the best and worst PC games that can truly be called definitive. Over the next few weeks we'll be collecting Community feedback across multiple categories. Once we have a sufficient number of submissions, we'll have the Community vote on the most popular, with a showcase of the winning games on the Tom's Hardware homepage.

This thread will decide the best games with the greatest protagonist.

To help get you started here are the Editorial Team's list:

geralt_of_rivia_by_gsjennsen-d8vbeu9.jpg
Geralt of Rivia - The Witcher Series

DOugFeG.jpg
Lara Croft - The Tomb Raider Series

d6b571ccaf0adca7b8ec7616f44a2adf.png
Cloud Strife - Final Fantasy VII

YcMNQEv.jpg
Commander Shephard - Mass Effect Series

Duke-Nukem-3D-20th-Anniversary-Edition-World-Tour-Review.jpg
Duke Nukem - Duke Nukem Series

May the mightiest hero or heroine win!

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The first thing that came to mind for me was B.J. Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein. I don't know if you could really call this character a protagonist, I guess it would depend on how you play the game but I really liked HK-47 from the KOTOR games and it's constant comments about your worthless "meatbag" party members.

From that list I would have a tough time deciding between Geralt and Commander Shepard. Does it have to be main characters? If not I would also add Garrus Vakarian from the Mass Effect games.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

OT But your avatar is rad. Also, the above is meant to get the list started. Please feel free to submit any and all recommendations!

saf227

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
Chell from Portal & Portal 2.
The things that girl goes through - just because she came to a science fair at Aperture Science. She defines perseverance.
250px-Chell.png

r3d3mpt10ni5t

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
I don't know if anyone remembers a game called Summoner - was brilliant when it was out, and it's what got me hooked on to RPGs. Still remember the first line "I am Joseph of Ciran. Joseph of Masad. Farmer, cotter, plowman, sahugani, summoner."

TheAfterPipe

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
I would have to submit Kyle Katarn. The mechanics of being able to be force-adept or a gun-slinger made the character very flexible and multi-faceted.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

You are correct correct. This is the definitive list of PC GAMES. We have no time for puny console gamers.

The Master Chief should make the list. Halo is more of a console game, but the original Halo was released on PC.
Guybrush Threepwood (Monkey Island)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Lara Croft should make the list easily.
I'd want to place the protagonists from the Bioshock series in the list, but they are only in one game at a time. Limits there fame. I'd think Booker Dewitt should be included though.
Ezio Auditore could be included.

Oh! And the frog from Frogger. Doesn't really have a name, but certainly is memorable enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.