VP2770-LED Vs. S27B970D: 27" Monitors At 2560x1440

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]I'm glad to see 1440p monitors getting some attention, but I just don't see the prices of these being justifiable to most users over the USA-based Korean 1440p IPS panels that are starting to become more numerous.$800-1200 is just nuts for anyone using these for home use or gaming, IMO.[/citation]

Agreed. I bought a Dell U2711 a few months ago, but if something forced me to replace it, I'd probably go with one of those cheap Korean panels -- or a TN panel 2560x1440 monitor if somebody would actually make one - I doubt I'm the only one who likes the resolution but isn't so picky about color quality. I had no objection to the color quality on my Samsung P2770HD, and the color shifts of a TN panel are affected by the physical size of the monitor, not the resolution, right?

G

Why not do a review on those $330 Korean 1440P monitors that enthusiasts talk about? I like to see what i am missing with the extra $900. Really i'm serious i really want to know what justifies the 1 grand price tag.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Why not do a review on those $330 Korean 1440P monitors that enthusiasts talk about? I like to see what i am missing with the extra $900. Really i'm serious i really want to know what justifies the 1 grand price tag.[/citation]
It's coming. We're ramping up our display coverage, so we took note of the requests after the last display piece and put in the requests. You'll see this soon. Of course, if there are any other requests from you guys, do let us know. Christian is doing a phenomenal job of applying his extensive experience on Tom's Hardware.

festerovic

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]It's coming. We're ramping up our display coverage, so we took note of the requests after the last display piece and put in the requests. You'll see this soon. Of course, if there are any other requests from you guys, do let us know. Christian is doing a phenomenal job of applying his extensive experience on Tom's Hardware.[/citation]
That's great to hear, I agree with the others that the price of these models is too much to consider unless they were generating $$$s for me. $3-400 seems like the range I would be willing to spend on these. And as for the USA based korean cheap models, are there any legit retailers of these? Please point me at them.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Just bought a ASUS VS278Q-P for $310. It's a 60Mz monitor and I do game, but I'm happy. My previous monitor lasted 8 years (Samsung SyncMaster 213T, bought it for $1k). I'll upgrade when this one dies, hopefully 4k/UHD will be affordable. Supposedly, only serious gamers can tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. I'm not a serious gamer, so it works just fine for me. 120Hz monitors of that size are nearly twice the price.

mannam

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

Here are the inexpensive $300-$400 27" korean monitor brands: Yamakasi Catleap, Achieva Shimian, Crossover, PCBank, Potalion, Auria

"The reason these monitors are cheap - LG makes IPS panels for apple cinema displays. Apple only accepts grade A+ panels. That means the all the grade A,A-,B+, etc are not accepted and returned to LG. LG resells those IPS panels to other manufacturers. You can get the whole story on google if you're interested. In addition, you're getting no support and no manufacturers warranty."

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=239&view=forums&post=5192222#5192222

It would be really interesting to get a review of these monitors that go for 50% or less of the price of the Big Brand stuff. If it's even 85-90% quality compared to the big brands, then they are worth the plunge. :D

Personally, I was not impressed with the Auria monitor. My Acer HN274H TN monitor has better contrast. Viewing angles are far better on the Auria, but that's to be expected on an IPS. At any rate, I returned the Auria after a day of use because after many attempts to adjust the contrast/color, it didn't hold a candle to the colors or contrast on my TN. The Auria definitely had deeper black, but the in-betweens seemed to be missing no matter how I set the contrast and color. I honestly couldn't justify the tradeoff of higher resolution to lack of contrast. Maybe I got one of the LG B+ throw-away panels?

[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]It's coming. We're ramping up our display coverage, so we took note of the requests after the last display piece and put in the requests. You'll see this soon. Of course, if there are any other requests from you guys, do let us know. Christian is doing a phenomenal job of applying his extensive experience on Tom's Hardware.[/citation]
Don't forget the Auria at Microcenter. Many Toms users, myself included, have them.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I'm waiting for this or higher resolution in a 24" size monitor that has very, very narrow or no bezel, true 5ms response time and refresh rate of 120hz. Perhaps I'll live long enough to see one but I'm starting to doubt.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I refuse to spend more than $400 on a computer monitor no matter what resolution it is running at.

I just dont see QHD picking up any traction in the main consumer market until they get prices down to reasonable levels.

Heck I can pick up two 1080p 23/24 inch panels for

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I understand the reason why Windows 7 had Magnifier Tools just recently as I move on from 1366x768 to 1980x1200. And these things at even higher res, I don't think my focus is that good even with Magnifier Tool...

Even with my recent resolution, I experienced some hard time to adjust myself when gaming is involved. The HUGE screen about 60 inch from my eyes still hurts my respond. I'm too focused on what happen on the middle of the screen and never had a chance to look at details on corners, when I do, it's already too late...

I don't think I'm ready for such resolutions, even if someday my rig is.

guzami77

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]MauveCloud[/nom]Agreed. I bought a Dell U2711 a few months ago, but if something forced me to replace it, I'd probably go with one of those cheap Korean panels -- or a TN panel 2560x1440 monitor if somebody would actually make one - I doubt I'm the only one who likes the resolution but isn't so picky about color quality. I had no objection to the color quality on my Samsung P2770HD, and the color shifts of a TN panel are affected by the physical size of the monitor, not the resolution, right?[/citation]

I have the Dell U2711 also. Im a very visually detailed person. Audio I cant tell the difference between low to mid, or mid to high end systems... but visually I notice. My friends and family dont notice visual details or color accuracy. They think my monitor was a waste of money, but I dont. You need to know yourself before making a purchase on these. Also, if your gaming, you'll need a beefy system.. the jump from 1080p requires more hardware than youd expect.

biggestinsect

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I run a 3 monitor set-up; use it mostly for 3d modeling and CAD, and occasional gaming. 2048 by 1152 23" Samsung on the left; 32" Samsung TV in the middle and LG 23" IPS on the right.

Want to replace this mess with 3 27" QHD IPS panels. VESA mounts are mandatory; minimal/no-bezel cases would be preferred. I don't see that combination of features available anywhere.

Also at $700 - $1000 dollars apiece it would be impossible for me to get all three at the same time. I could swing the cash for three of the Korean panels but spending that kind of money on a scary warranty, quality gamble is a bit un-nerving.

So I guess some comprehensive reviews of the lesser panels and comparisons to the name brand monitors would be extremely helpful for me at this point. I could have worse problems!

[citation][nom]rush21hit[/nom]...I don't think my focus is that good even with Magnifier Tool...Even with my recent resolution, I experienced some hard time to adjust myself when gaming is involved. The HUGE screen about 60 inch from my eyes still hurts my respond. I'm too focused on what happen on the middle of the screen and never had a chance to look at details on corners, when I do, it's already too late...[/citation]
This certainly applies to my 53-yr old eyes. I have two 1920x1080 monitors now, and I use the smaller one (21.5") on my primary PC because I am a little less likely to miss things than on the 23" one. Also, it isn't just the cost of the monitor; for games you're looking at $400-$600 price of graphics card(s) to go with it, plus a beefier PSU... I just can't justify it. I'm not knocking those who can, but I can't.
I am happy with 1920x1080; I suspect my next monitor upgrade (unlikely to be soon) will be to get a 120Hz monitor for 3D, but not to get more real estate.

xPandaPanda

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
More correctly, it's WQHD (2560 x 1440)
QHD is more generally 3840 x 2160, but in regards to being 4x 720p, it's acceptable. Just not too... correct.

For example, 720p shouldn't be HD if 1080p is HD. Like... 720 should have been 720miniHD but for marketing use, it's HD because HD is always good. So QHD is more reasonably 4x 1080p.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Technically 1080p is "Full HD" so 3840x2160 would mabye QFHD? Gotta love marketing terms[/citation]

People would do well to remember these are TV marketing terms designed to pump up the sense of quality of the screen. I'm not fond of using them myself, especially since they make 16:9 sound like a good thing. It's not. It's barely livable as a monitor at a 27" size, and below that it's total crap. (In my opinion of course.)

f-14

Distinguished
something of this cost i EXPECT it to have a refresh rate 75mhz and a response time of 3 ms to 1ms.
wait for the VX series of the viewsonic it should have those specifications.

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Yes, indeed! And it’s surprising how so many intelligent PC enthusiasts are falling for this TV marketing crap. The 16:9 standard sucks. Like I’ve said in another thread, I’m sick of seeing “1080” or “1440”; when I see “1200” or “1600,” then I’m interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.