Question VPN basics?

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
If I was to pick up a VPN service, I assume it entails installing some application on my PC. I then launch the application, pick a location, then start browsing or gaming or whatever . . . on that PC.

What about the other devices in the house—computers, tablets, phones, and televisions? They aren't affected by VPN usage on the aforementioned PC? If it matters, we have both a standalone modem and a standalone wireless router.

However, if I also wanted to utilize that VPN to watch Netflix programming not normally available in my area, how would that even work, assuming I'm trying to watch on my TV, which isn't going to have the aforementioned VPN application installed on it.

That's all I have. Just a couple of questions before dropping the money and investing the time.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
You are correct, the VPN would only run on the device with the software installed. so just your pc unless you install it on other devices.

to get it on your tv, you'd have to connect your pc to it (via hdmi most likely) and extend your screen to the tv. netflix and the rest let you play through your browser so that's how you'd have to make it work.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suppose you could set up a VPN on your home router (if supported) to protect all of your devices.

There are more than a couple misconceptions about VPNs.

What do you think you'll gain by having one? Most streaming services are VPN-aware and will prevent you from accessing their services as you indicated doing above. They also continually update information to close off more VPN addresses over time.

VPNs will also not prevent you (or kids) from putting yourself at risk by visiting dodgy sites.

Although still not on lower end routers many routers now have the ability to run both vpn server and vpn client. What you want is the vpn client. The router will run the software to connect to the vpn service.

Every device in your house could then use the vpn, it is possible on most vpn router to allow devices to bypass the vpn if it is not needed.

Most larger VPN service providers have instructions on how to configure most common routers. Some vpn provider require you to use their special software so it won't run on a router. These you need to be very suspect of. The best ones let you load one of the open source vpn clients on your machine and then configure it. This way you know there is not some other stuff going on in the vpn software. Some so called " free" vpn sites where running bitcoin miners in people machines.

If your router does not have the vpn feature you can buy a router that does or you can buy a small 2 port pc and use it as a vpn box.