VPN help please

Oct 9, 2018
hello all
can some one please explain to me about VPN i was told to download and use one but i have tried around 3 now BUT !!!!
i have a speed checker on my media box i`m with virgin
i`m on speeds up to 70mbps
but when i turn on the VPN the speed drops very badly to 16mbps to 25mbps !
when i watch a TV show sometimes its impossible
so `Ive knocked the VPN off now
so why have it if it sucks your speed !
thank you Paul

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
which VPN services are you paying for? the free services are not really free.
when you use a VPN your computer becomes a part of a private network located elsewhere. your ISP does not know what happens on the VPN because it is encrypted, but free services have access to the encryption and can and most likely do make browsing profiles and sell your information to data brokers.

I use PrivateInternetAccess as my main VPN service. pay normally or for true anonymity you can pay with gift cards. PIA loses me 1-3Mbps off my 100Mbps service. ping increases a few ms.

NordVPN is popular too. I have used them before. I prefer PIA because PIA let me watch netflix where nord took time finding the right server

when looking for a VPN provider you need to know what is important to you.
Virtual Private Network, the keyword in this for me is private. look for a no logs kept service. look for a service in the proper country. PIA is based in America which some people dislike. are there available VPN server close to you? the closer the faster the service. when I connect to a server near me the speeds are the best, when I connect to Australia, or South America, the speed are necessarily slower, so get a service with a few close servers.

VPN works sort of like this
Your internet is local and goes to computer
People then use VPN and maybe it goes via Sinapore (for example) that is quite far away so the distance slows the internet down, because it goes through more computers
then it has to go back to you, so instead of say going from London to London, your internet is now going London, Singapore, back to London, and reverse of that.

It will never be as fast as what you pay your ISP, but a decent VPN will be quick, as long as you know what you are doing.
I use Cyberghost, never had a problem

I am sure there are far better explanations online than mine :)

Do you run the VPN on your PC or on the router. The router cpu will quickly slow you down because vpn is extremely cpu intensive.

There can be large difference between vpn services. Pretty much if you try to get by with the cheapest it will be slower. Even with very large vpn services it depend what you are actually doing. You need to look where their data centers are located and compare that to where you live and where the server you want to access is.

I have used PIA in the past as well as a couple of the other large ones they are all pretty much the same for me.

The thing I like about PIA is they have a actual test web page you can use without installing anything to see how fast your connection to each data center is.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/

Click though to the location you want and you will see links to test. You will see you get massive difference between the data centers so there is no simple answer to which vpn provider is best since there are difference between the providers also

Oct 9, 2018
thank you all for reply`s
i have used all free ones !!!one was with some orange rabbit !
i don`t mind paying i was afraid encase they did not work
but now good to know they do work from the UK
when i did runs those free vpn they always connected to Holland !
what would you say to install VPN on my media box / kodi
whats the cheapest VPN to try put
thanks paul

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

like I said PIA takes gift cards. I suggest you get a 5euro/pound/dollar/ whatever currency applies on a gift card and try it. I got 34 days for a 10 dollar amazon gift card. this will let you try it out relatively risk free (auto re-billing if you dislike - etc)and you dictate the price for the trial.
on the website you tell them card (amazon-etc) and the amount of the card and they will tell you how long that will buy

I know PIA has servers in London, Manchester, and Southampton

Oct 9, 2018

Apr 30, 2018

Yeah, it also depends on the server load. If the server is overloaded, then the speeds will drop. I personally use NordVPN because it offers many servers with good speeds. Speedtest even gave them a badge, source here.

Dec 11, 2018

yeah that's sort of a side back with quite a few providers. you don't need a vpn if you're trying to stream something cuz it's more likely to slow down your connection than not. that's actually the cost you pay for the added layer of security. if you don't feel you need a secure connection and jsut want to stream netflix or something, you can do so without a vpn. you can check out critics and reviewers and their speed test comparisons. one of them, bestvpn, have recently made a comparison where ivacy was the fast on their graph but you can test that stuff by yourself. but again, if you don't need one, don't stress it.