Question VPN questions

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. If I sign up to a VPN service, the bigest one seems to be Nord, how does this work? This would only be between myself and my ISP. After that from server to server it is normal? Is it worth getting?

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. Sorry for not responding sooner. Acording to your Avast link, the image shows rejections from Addware and hackers. It also shows the same for Governments. I asume that means your local police force.

Also it goes through your ISP undetected. I did ask this question a few years ago and I got replies like The VPN could also be your ISP provider. If that is correct, then they could see the traffic and allow access to the traffic. Not that they would do such a thing.

Sorry about the late response but I am interested in these points. I would like to send secure documents to a publisher and would like the peace of mind. If I subscribed to Nord for example would I know which ISP they piggy back on?

I will say the image is very informative.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I have seen this. Does that mean I don't subscribe to talk talk?

However, a VPN client must first be installed and configured on the computer. This involves the user not being connected to the internet via his own ISP, but establishing a direct connection through his/her VPN provider. This essentially shortens the tunnel phase of the VPN journey.

Ralston18

Titan
First question: I do not understand the question and the reference to talk talk.

Second question: I would expect that the VPN client be installed and configured as documented by the VPN provider.

If you are not using your own ISP then some other ISP is needed to connect to the internet....

And I would not consider tunnel/tunnel phase in any physical concept of length. Or otherwise shortening the journey. More explanation needed.

Best to think of it this way. You want to send a letter to someone but say your x-spouse works at the local post office. You do not want them to know you are sending mail to certain people. So what you do is put that envelope in another envelope and mail it to a company that will take the letter out of the first envelope and put it in the mail in their city. This prevents them from seeing what you are actually sending.....unless of course your x have a friend at the post office in the remote city.

VPN is pretty much this but it is using multiple layers of data packets rather than envelopes but it very similar in function.

WebBeachBoy

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
protonvpn.com has a free service hat you can use to try it out. [This is NOT a free to try for a few weeks advertising device - you can us it permanently, but it only gives 1 connection, 3 servers and medium speed. Swiss based, no logs it works fine]

Reactions: Ragnarok17

TRENDING THREADS