Question VPN software router for windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulo_andre

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
My company has a very stubborn IT department. They don't want to make any changes to an old vpn we have and they ONLY support windows.
I've tried a lot but apparently the protocols used are deprecated on both macos and linux, so really only windows machines can connect.

So... I wanted to use a windows VM, connected to the vpn and serve as a router for all other devices in my network when they need to access any of the machines inside the vpn. I only want to route the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx network through there, all other should go to my normal router (an openwrt machine).
Is there any software or configuration that can do this in windows?
All I can find create a hotspot via wifi and provide dhcp, I don't need any of that, just a simple router that accepts connections on one interface and redirects to another.

Most vpn clients actively prevent this or are too stupid to accept traffic from a second interface.
Most vpn client only accept traffic that comes from the pc itself. You would have to find a way to make the traffic appear to come from the pc rather than a different interface. I know people where asking this when they wanted to use a company vpn from a machine sitting in their house when they were actually working from another country. Trying to vpn into the machine and then use the second vpn to go to the company. I don't thing they got it to work under windows. The vpn clients tend to make changes to the routing statements in the pc that prevent any messing around like this.

I am somewhat surprised that the protocols are not supported. Almost all older vpn used IPSEC, many still do. The newer openvpn and wireguard are supported on many platforms.

Now if what your company has is something a cisco anyconnect client. That is designed intentionally to prevent you from tampering. It has abilities like checking patch levels on the OS and virus software. It used to run IPSEC but I think the new one also runs openvpn.

A company in general does not want you to do what you are attempting. If a user is stupid and say leave a open wifi connection on their pc and then shares the vpn to the wifi the internal corporate network is now completely open bypassing any fancy firewalls.

paulo_andre

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
No, I use the plain windows client, no other configuration. But still, linux or macos don't connect (and obviously, don't give any info as why they don't connect). So I was hoping, since it's the plain windows client, that there would be a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.