VPN wont recnnect

amgentry.2002

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
i have a retired server laying around with server 2012 r2. currently i am a student at a school where the only way to really use the Wi-Fi is a VPN and considering i have a server i was just going to build one, so far i have gone a built a VPN with minimal security on the local network and i got my computer running windows 10 to connect. But after i connect the first time i am not able to reconnect, so far i have tried restarting and that didn't fix anything and i also tried to restart and rebuild the VPN and once again i can only connect the first time, even without changing any settings and just disconnect and reconnecting.
https://gyazo.com/2f16c03baef9af3c7e64615385ada0e2

amgentry.2002

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

The wifi is full of restrictions and firewall's that the only way to load any webpage is to connect to a VPN.

amgentry.2002

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Well right now that isn't the issue. I am having this issue on a local and closed environment where I doubt that anything is blocking it on the router side because I have minimal security. I am currently stuck getting it working locally without even going to school

You will struggle if you are on the same internal network. inside---outside----inside. You need different IP scheme on the end point of the vpn. You are using your home network to connect via vpn back to your home network for testing???

amgentry.2002

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

Currently I couldn't say for sure, but I believe it isn't even set up to connect outside the network. I don't believe it has access to the outside, and even so, I'm connecting through a local ip directly to the server.

How can you connect directly to the server using a vpn locally?

What ports have you opened on your router?

amgentry.2002

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

I connected directly through the 192 ip address. And currently I don't have any ports outside of the default open, if that's the problem it won't explain why I can connect the first time but not after.

amgentry.2002

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I figured out my issue, I'm not exactly sure why this mattered. But i could only connect once under NPS but if i removed it and gave true access per individual user i was able to connect. I'm not sure if it why but it could be because i wasn't using a domain, it doesn't seem like that would be the issue but it is possible.