[SOLVED] VR for racing

sodacandan

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Ok, forgive me if this has been asked a thousand tomes but the title to the threads are misleading sometimes and I will be looking all day lol
Let me introduce myself. My name is Dan, Danny, Daniel it dont matter I get called all of em but my friends call me Soda
I have been looking for an answer ever since I discovered that racing in VR is the absolute best but on console there are not any racing games I race on. I am more into the sim side of racing and GT Sport is not any good in my eyes so I built a PC. The only thing I do/play is Racing. I am doing Iracing and love it to death so the next move would be to go VR. I was told to get a oculus DK2 because it didnt need a great GPU. I bought one and after the fact found out it will not work as it is not supported anymore. DAMNIT! Back to square one.
Looking online for info is like pulling your wisdom teeth by hand with a pliers to get the imfo I seek. so here it is again on this site.
Because I only race in a sim I built and don't do quest games or shooter games ect.
1, I read somewhere all I would need is a "headset only" ok, would that include tracking pods or are they self tracking because I am sitting and only have head movement?
2, what headset would I need? I already know the HTC vive, and the oculus CV1 or the S will work but what about the quest, the go, and others? Iracing supports others like popular open source vr headsets like samsung's VR but (there I go again. which one? ) am I limited to a certain Samsung model and are they only for a smartphones or can they be linked to a pc too? there so many out there and Youtube videos are really not much help
I want decent quality on the graphics so I know a good GPU is a must. either a GTX 1070 or better would do it or a RX 580 or better. But I know i don't want to shell out $1000 when I could have done the same thing for $1-$300. I am sooo lost on this and am here for guidance.

Thank you very much.
Soda

Solution
What are your system specs? Kind of important for headset recommendations.

As far as VR headsets go, the current recommended models are:
  • Oculus Rift S (or CV1 if you want to go pre-owned but S is generally much better)
  • Valve Index (don't bother with Vive unless you can get one at a cheap price, not worth the $800AUD or so they currently go for).
  • Samsung Odyssey (one of the best Windows MR headsets, not the best for standing experiences due to tracking setup but screen quality is excellent compared to the above models).

I would personally recommend a Rift S simply because it is a relatively cheap and high quality device with very few issues (check r/Oculus for these, includes headphones design). In your situation, the...

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

• Oculus Rift S (or CV1 if you want to go pre-owned but S is generally much better)
  • Valve Index (don't bother with Vive unless you can get one at a cheap price, not worth the $800AUD or so they currently go for).
  • Samsung Odyssey (one of the best Windows MR headsets, not the best for standing experiences due to tracking setup but screen quality is excellent compared to the above models).

I would personally recommend a Rift S simply because it is a relatively cheap and high quality device with very few issues (check r/Oculus for these, includes headphones design). In your situation, the Windows MR devices are ideal and definetly worth a look, they're fairly cheap and generally decent for sitting experiences. Make sure you check reviews first however since screen quality differs between models.

I would steer clear of any 3 DOF headsets (any Google Cardboard setups, Gear VR, Oculus GO etc) because 3DOF just is not a pleasant experience. Feel free to try your phone in a Google Cardboard holder (can get ones off eBay) and use a program such as VRidge but I've found the lag pretty bad compared to a real headset. Worth it for an idea of the experience but that's about it.

Graphics card recommendations are spot-on although it's important to make sure the rest of your system is up to scratch. Plenty of guides out there but generally want to make sure you have at least an i5 4690 and 8GB of RAM (ideally 16GB).

Reactions: sodacandan
Solution

sodacandan

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019

I would personally recommend a Rift S simply because it is a relatively cheap and high quality device with very few issues (check r/Oculus for these, includes headphones design). In your situation, the Windows MR devices are ideal and definetly worth a look, they're fairly cheap and generally decent for sitting experiences. Make sure you check reviews first however since screen quality differs between models.

I would steer clear of any 3 DOF headsets (any Google Cardboard setups, Gear VR, Oculus GO etc) because 3DOF just is not a pleasant experience. Feel free to try your phone in a Google Cardboard holder (can get ones off eBay) and use a program such as VRidge but I've found the lag pretty bad compared to a real headset. Worth it for an idea of the experience but that's about it.

Graphics card recommendations are spot-on although it's important to make sure the rest of your system is up to scratch. Plenty of guides out there but generally want to make sure you have at least an i5 4690 and 8GB of RAM (ideally 16GB).
Thanks for the feedback/reply. My system is a: Gigabyte motherboard(ed) 64 bit I7 with 8GB of ram (rite now until I get more soon) It has a MSI GTX 960 ( garbage for the most part in it and I know that one just wont cut the mustard for vr or much more than I am using it for anyways so I am on the lookout for a different card (new/used 2 b honest Idc as long as it works). My PC is a little on the older side but it was focus built for gaming a while back (and I got it from a guy I met for $140. It needed a SSD/HHD which I had and he threw in the 960 so I could race right away. It may not be the best deal out there and I'm sure ppl out there can prob build it even cheaper but if you knew what I was working with before I bought that you would say I made the right move for sure. It was a I7 Dell that had no room in the case and as you know they and many others use special plugs for stuff and specifically designed for their products so upgrades are as hard as they possibly could be and such. with that being said, I'm happy anyways. Again, thanks for the info

sodacandan

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
I got anther quick Q, Has anyone ever used the VR glasses? They kinda look interesting. I'm not looking to buy any but they look kinda cool. Not to sure how they would be in the gaming world but for design purposes and such I bet they would be spot on