VR Games With Some Meat On Their Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Hey guys. Good info, and thanks for collecting the list. However...

8/24 games are 5 hours long. 6/24 are 12 hrs long. I don't consider that "meat on it's bones", although that is better than a 30 min tech demo I guess.

Of the remaining 10 games, 6 are not a racing sim. Those 6 games are split as platform specific, meaning I can only play them on one of the VR headsets.

There's 2 for the Vive, 1 for the Rift, and 1 for the PSVR. Only 2 games can be played with your choice of headset.

So I can pick a racing sim and 1 or 2 other games, unless I'm buying a Vive, Rift, AND PSVR.

Do you see the problem now? I think, based in part on the above, the argument that there are VERY few games available for VR is still quite valid.

gergguy

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
I agree with Demasiaduh.pt. Lone Echo should have been on the list. It probably should have won VR/AR game of the year. Although Resident Evil 7 VR (the winner) is a fantastic game.

You may have noticed many of the games on this list are regular games converted to VR. Until prices come down on the headsets and there is more adoption of the hardware, not many game companies are going to spend money making larger titles for VR because they will never realize a return on their investment.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

5 hrs is typical AAA game single player campaign time. Why should it be different for a VR title?

There are no Vive exclusives. Those games can be played on a Rift.

Bluemax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
Nice article, I would have liked to see Windows Mixed Reality Headset included in the analysis. I own one and it has steam integration. Regardless, nice to have a list to check for availability.

Don't get me wrong... the technology is pretty cool, but I don't see many people wanting to wear anything on their heads for too long; only a select few. This is the same reason 3D-TV never took off. I'd consider myself more than a casual gamer and this hardly appeals to me. The mixed reality seems appealing from a learning/training standpoint, but I wouldn't want anything on my noggin for too long at any sitting.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

I usually play for about an hour, then take a break from 10-30 minutes. That's more because I'm worn out from running around my VR room than headset irritation. Room-scale VR is pretty good exercise.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I would love to add Windows MR support to the list. However, few games have officially embraced WinMR through steam yet, and almost none had done so when I put this list together.

Look for a Windows MR game list coming soon. A list of Steam games that work on Win MR is a good idea for a list. I'll keep that in mind.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

That's a good point.
Complete oversight on my part.
It's harder than it might seem to compile a comprehensive list without some things slipping through the cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.