Question VRAM and CPU flashing lights..Aorus B450 Elite

Jan 28, 2021
Hi all
For Christmas I built my son a pc. I had no experience prior to this and did some learning on the fly. I bought a Mobo/cpu pre built and assembled it.

A flashy, light up case (he’s 13, it was importantđŸ˜‚),
Aorus B450 Elite (BIOS f60),
Ryzen 5 2600,
One stick of 8gb Corsair RAM,
256gb M.2 (need to add to these obviously)
RX570 from his old pc.
I was methodical, careful and after installing Windows, imagine my shock when it actually worked.
It works absolutely fine, boots up quick and is overall a job well done. However, every 10 to 14 days (random times) it loses signal to the monitor, the light up keyboard turns off and the VRAM /CPU lights on the mobo flash alternating. Concerning for sure. The internals all look like they are working and still on inside the case, just no life. Press the reset button and it restarts with no issues and purrs along fine until it does it again in another week or so. It goes without saying that I have NO idea what’s causing it. In my limited experience, it’s normally something really small and stupid but I’d appreciate any help. The fact that it’s not a perfect install is really bothering me lol.
Cheers

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
the fact that after a restart it works fine makes me suggest its nothing to worry about. i have that same motherboard and some times (mainly after i update windows) it will get stuck in a boot loop and the boot light will come on. and i have to turn it off and on again then it works fine.

its probably just a weird bios issue but as long as its only happened once in a while all the hardware is probably fine.

i would be 99% sure its a motherboard issue and you could probably refund it and get a different one. but if having to press the reset switch once a week doesnt bother you, i wouldnt worry

EDIT: is it crashing, and then the lights flashing? or are you having issues when you turn the computer on?

Jan 28, 2021
the fact that after a restart it works fine makes me suggest its nothing to worry about. i have that same motherboard and some times (mainly after i update windows) it will get stuck in a boot loop and the boot light will come on. and i have to turn it off and on again then it works fine.

its probably just a weird bios issue but as long as its only happened once in a while all the hardware is probably fine.

i would be 99% sure its a motherboard issue and you could probably refund it and get a different one. but if having to press the reset switch once a week doesnt bother you, i wouldnt worry

EDIT: is it crashing, and then the lights flashing? or are you having issues when you turn the computer on?

I’m inclined to agree that it might not matter if it’s just an intermittent thing and there’s nothing major going wrong. I thought of a few things tho: the ram I don’t think is on the QVL list, although that may may not make a difference. I am going to change that though anyway as it’s not really enough. And that it might be some random comparability issue as it’s so intermittent. Although as I said, I don’t know what I’m talking about lol. I did a memcheck on the ram and a system check overall with nothing to report.

In relation to your question, the crash and lights flashing happens at the same time. No issues when turning the pc on although in percentage terms, the crash happens most often not long after boot up. Because of lockdown it’s been mainly school work so far so nothing taxing so it’d be interesting to see if it crashed more often under duress.

Thanks for replying.
Also, booting into the BIOS reports nothing untoward.