Discussion VRAM does not downclock with 2 monitors active

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hi,
I have an RTX 4090, and 2 OLED monitors, main display is Aorus 1440p 360hz@10bit, secondary is MSI 4k 240hz@10 bit, both use DSC, and both are connected to HDMI 2.1 cables and ports (my 4090 has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports).

Nvidia control panel is set at 1440p, 360hz, 10biit for the Aorus, and 4k, 240hz, 10bit for the MSI.

Using MSI afterburner, GPU-Z, and all other monitoring applications, it shows my VRAM clock is 1327mhz (full clock), no matter what is shown on the monitor, even at idle and at all times. I use complete black color background and no icons, enabled auto hide task bar.

Driver version as of today, just released October 1st 2024. 565.90.

Also high power consumption with 2 monitors active (likely related to the VRAM full clock).

When only one monitor is active (the other is at power saving, off, or disabled) VRAM clock on idle goes back to 50mhz.

Is that a bug? Nvidia should know about it? Any work around it?

Sep 30, 2024
Using dual monitors does consume more GPU resources, including power and VRAM for frame storage. However, you need not fret, as this typically has no adverse impact on your computer's gaming performance or FPS.

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Using dual monitors does consume more GPU resources, including power and VRAM for frame storage. However, you need not fret, as this typically has no adverse impact on your computer's gaming performance or FPS.
Not really fretting, but it's less than ideal situation. I'd like clocks to rest to idle when nothing is being done. Also I HAVE to make a custom fan curve (higher one) because of the increased heat when 2 monitors are active.

Reactions: samermid
Sep 30, 2024
Not really fretting, but it's less than ideal situation. I'd like clocks to rest to idle when nothing is being done. Also I HAVE to make a custom fan curve (higher one) because of the increased heat when 2 monitors are active.
custom fan is really a nice idea

Hey there,

Please list the rest of your PC specs.

What bios are you currently running?

custom fan is really a nice idea
It's not really a great idea, other than a band aid fix. I'm sure the OP would prefer not to have a noisier fan profile, just with two monitors on and running.

To OP, in NVCP, have you got the 'Power Management Mode' on high performance or normal? It should be on normal to allow proper downclocking.

Also, what windows power profile are you running?

Are all system drivers up to date including chipset?