[SOLVED] VRM Throttling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2020
Hi,

I've been digging into this one for a couple of days and I'm fairly certain VRM overheating is the issue but would like some thoughts.

Basically I've made some recent changes to my system.

CPU: AMD FX8350
Cooler: Artic Freezer 7X
GPU: Radeon RX570 8GB
MOBO: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3

A few months I switched out the stock cooler for the artic freezer. All ok.

I then bought a RX570 a week or so ago, switching out from my R9 280. Since then I've been experiencing CPU throttling, which, wasn't too noticeable until Cyberpunk 2077. With that I have noticed severe FPS drops for obvious reasons and with monitoring can see it is CPU throttling.

My main suspect is VRM overheating. As the CPU temps barely get above 50c it can't be that. The mobo is an old board with no VRM heatsinks and seems to be a common problem with the FX CPUs.

With budgetary constraints I would prefer not to upgrade the mobo. So I'm going to attempt rigging a fan over the VRM and buying some individual heatsinks for the VRMs.

Solution
Try taking the case cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.

If that does not give you relief, I would not spend any more on that FX system.
<$250 can buy you a modern processor, motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 ram.
Dec 11, 2020
You are asking a lot of that system to play cyberpunk. Yes I would try to cool the vrm's as much as you can. The cpu and gpu have built in safety temps to prevent their damage.

I'm actually getting steady 40-50 fps on cyberpunk at medium settings which isn't bad. If it wasn't for the throttling, which is unrelated, its perfectly playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.