Vrvana Totem Mixed Reality HMD Prototype: Beyond Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Which is it? A single display, or one per eye? I'm confused.
Quote from article: "The Totem headset features a single 1440p display, which is quite a bit higher-resolution than the dual-display setups from Oculus and HTC. The Totem offers 1280 x 1440 per eye"

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

I think it's single. It looks like it's probably a single 2560x1440 (16:9) display, which is 1280x1440 per eye.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Apparently it is a single 2560x1440 display split in to two viewing zones (one for each eye). I'd be curious how they (and others making single display) physically manage the boundary and optics between the two zones to get the full 1280 width for each eye.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Bingo!
Single display.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I'm looking forward to seeing it again when the final product is ready with lighthouse tracking and the laser scanner.
Hopefully a big brand name will license the hardware for consumer use (and price)

hannibal

Distinguished
And we need a couple of years and some kind of VR standard, so that you can use any device you like to run any application you like...
Now it is lottery. Do I buy a device that is not supported in two years...

angrydude

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
So their much-advertized inside-out head tracking didn't work too well after all...
cause they are about to license lighthouse from Vive

Having 4 cameras in the front and still using lighthouse to track controllers ?
Insane
back to the drawing board...

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The inside-out tracking system works fine. Adding lighthouse tracking for controller support gives them access to all Steam VR content.

angrydude

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
The inside-out tracking system works fine. Adding lighthouse tracking for controller support gives them access to all Steam VR content.

angrydude

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
"The inside-out tracking system works fine. Adding lighthouse tracking for controller support gives them access to all Steam VR content."

Ah... the beauty of VR crowd

explaining objective physical deficiency (Laws of Nature) of hardware with software compatibility reasons...
Just how well you can "inside-out" track an HMD inside a big hall with white painted walls and ceiling ?

Depth cameras might help ($$$) but still..

idiots, just idiots

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, I'm guessing it was tethered to a pretty high-spec PC?

Chill, dude. Keep yer angry to yerself.

Yes, we understand the limits of cameras - esp. all are front-facing. From what he said, the issue is controller tracking, which makes sense. Vive games track controllers, even when they'd be out of sight of the HMD's cameras (e.g. behind you).

Maybe some of their customers don't mind these limitations and would rather avoid the added expense of lighthouses. Other customers might need the flexibility.

I think it's more impressive that it demo'd well without lighthouses. If they managed that, maybe the next gen will add a couple cameras in other directions and forego the lighthouses.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
He said it supports OpenVR and will work with Steam (if you get the lighthouses).

I'm guessing MS has a DirectVR or some such API that it could also support. Ultimately, none of these platforms: Facebook, MS, Google, or Steam has an incentive not to let you use any HMD you want. What they all want to control is the software platform & content distribution.

The bigger concern is that it costs $5k. Once they have a more affordable model, perhaps the API landscape will be a bit clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.