Vsync ON + 240hz display?

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I do know that most gamers have Vsync turned off to reduce lag, but I really *love* the way things look when it is on, and sometimes I myself have it turned on because I find screen tearing incredible distracting, to the point where I'd rather have lag than tearing.

With this in mind, I still have an 'old' 60hz monitor, and I think its time to upgrade. I've been looking at 144hz and 240hz monitors, and what I am wondering is, would there be any change to the lag time encountered with Vsync turned ON between a 60hz, 144hz and 240hz monitor? In other words, could a 240hz monitor theoretically have less lag than 144hz because of more opportunities per second to display the image?

Solution
Well depending on your hardware you likely wont be able to use vsync effectively on a 144hz or 240hz monitor. VSNYc only works when fps is at the refresh rate of your monitor or a number divisible of your refresh rate. So basically with a 144hz monitor in order to eliminate tearing with vsync on you would have to be able to run your game at 144fps at all times, which is probably not going to happen unless it's a very easy to run game. Or set vsync to run at half the fresh rate which kind of defeats the point of having a high refresh rate monitor.

I find tearing to be much less noticeable in most games when running a game at say 100fps or higher on a high refresh rate monitor. What is your budget? You may want to look into a freesync or...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well depending on your hardware you likely wont be able to use vsync effectively on a 144hz or 240hz monitor. VSNYc only works when fps is at the refresh rate of your monitor or a number divisible of your refresh rate. So basically with a 144hz monitor in order to eliminate tearing with vsync on you would have to be able to run your game at 144fps at all times, which is probably not going to happen unless it's a very easy to run game. Or set vsync to run at half the fresh rate which kind of defeats the point of having a high refresh rate monitor.

I find tearing to be much less noticeable in most games when running a game at say 100fps or higher on a high refresh rate monitor. What is your budget? You may want to look into a freesync or gsync monitor depending on your GPU, if you are really bothered by tearing.

Solution

king3pj

Distinguished
I second the end of Dunlop's post. I can't stand tearing either. I used to play with Vsync on with my old 60Hz, even though it gave me a noticeable disadvantage in competitive games. Eventually I found a Dell 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor on sale for $350 and it changed everything. It's one of the cheaper Gsync monitors on the market and I love it.

Tearing is completely eliminated without adding any input lag. Games that I can run at 100+ FPS obviously feel the best but everything in the 60-144 FPS range feels much smoother than it did on my old monitor.

Now that I've used a Gsync monitor for a year or two I would never be able to go back to a standard monitor. If you have a Nvida GPU I highly recommend a 144Hz Gsync monitor. I've never seen Freesync in person but if I had an AMD GPU I would absolutely grab a 144Hz Freesync monitor.

Edit: I wouldn't bother with a 240Hz monitor because there are very few games you will be able to run much higher than 144 FPS. Maybe if you play a lot of something light, like CS:GO.