'Vsync' vs 'Riva Tuner' (locking fps)

stellar205

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Hello pals! I don't have a graphics card and I'm using Intel HD4000 graphics (Also experienced graphics cards). I am curious about what is the real difference between Vsync and locking fps manually. Well, I know how the Vsync works as it locks fps to the refresh rate of the monitor. Um, :p for example imagine some snow particles moving smoothly in a game and what I mean is when I use Vsync on, I keenly observed the particles stuttering/lagging/skipping-like while moving. Not only the particles but when driving a car or something. And when I turn off Vsync and locks fps in Riva Tuner, the moving particles are smoothly moving around with no weird lags/stuttering when compared to Vsync on. So, why and how does this happen? Does this happen also when we turn off the Vsync and unlock the fps? :p Can anyone please give me some deep information about this? Thanks in advance. :)

Actually, I'm both PC and console gamer. Of course, consoles have no screen tearing (in some games) and no stutters/lags like I said in PC. So, what and why?

Solution
They are different beasts.

VSync is syncing the FPS to the refresh rate of the monitor. Locking FPS is just manually locking the FPS, for whatever reason.

I don't think I can explain this in detail in a way you would understand. Someone else definitely could though, due to my language barrier.

VSync locks the FPS and frame timings (what you don't see), so that screen tearing is then impossible, because the GPU and monitor are completely in sync. The monitor asks for a frame from the GPU's frame buffer, while the GPU is copying it's frame from the back-buffer to the frame-buffer, tearing happens. This isn't possible, because every single milisecond is in sync.

Locking your FPS doesn't get rid of screen tearing (or stutter for that...

VSync is syncing the FPS to the refresh rate of the monitor. Locking FPS is just manually locking the FPS, for whatever reason.

I don't think I can explain this in detail in a way you would understand. Someone else definitely could though, due to my language barrier.

VSync locks the FPS and frame timings (what you don't see), so that screen tearing is then impossible, because the GPU and monitor are completely in sync. The monitor asks for a frame from the GPU's frame buffer, while the GPU is copying it's frame from the back-buffer to the frame-buffer, tearing happens. This isn't possible, because every single milisecond is in sync.

Locking your FPS doesn't get rid of screen tearing (or stutter for that matter), because nothing is in sync. 60 FPS to 60 Hz (59.94) isn't technically in sync. GPU's are designed to spit out as many frames as possible, and as a result the frame timings are all over the place. 60 FPS in Fraps could be anything between 59 and 60, i.e not in sync. This is also heavily dependant on what games you play, because some games are better optimized than others.

This means that a console game at 30 FPS properly optimized, can and will run smoother than a 60 FPS game on PC, which is poorly optimized. That's why FPS can't be used as a measurement of smoothness or screen tearing. Although, technically screen tearing happens more often the higher you go above 60 FPS on a 60 Hz monitor. That's because the chance of the monitor asking for a frame while the GPU is copying it's frame increases almost linearly in layman's terms.

Keep in mind that anything related to the GPU, is strongly dependant on the optimization of the game, engine, and the manufacturers GPU drivers. Hopefully I explained it well.

All the best!

Solution

stellar205

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

Locking your FPS doesn't get rid of screen tearing (or stutter for that matter), because nothing is in sync. 60 FPS to 60 Hz (59.94) isn't technically in sync. GPU's are designed to spit out as many frames as possible, and as a result the frame timings are all over the place. 60 FPS in Fraps could be anything between 59 and 60, i.e not in sync. This is also heavily dependant on what games you play, because some games are better optimized than others.

This means that a console game at 30 FPS properly optimized, can and will run smoother than a 60 FPS game on PC, which is poorly optimized. That's why FPS can't be used as a measurement of smoothness or screen tearing. Although, technically screen tearing happens more often the higher you go above 60 FPS on a 60 Hz monitor. That's because the chance of the monitor asking for a frame while the GPU is copying it's frame increases almost linearly in layman's terms.

Keep in mind that anything related to the GPU, is strongly dependant on the optimization of the game, engine, and the manufacturers GPU drivers. Hopefully I explained it well.

All the best!
Thank you very much for your detailed response. :) Anyway, I like playing games with Vsync off because I don't care screen tearing that much, and of course, no stuttering. Thanks for the 'GSYNC' Technology by the way.