Vsynce on freesynce monitor

Hosam-Jensen

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
What's up guys
Simple question: If I get a freesynce monitor with nvidia card can I use Vsynce to lock fps just to avoide screen tearing?

Solution
Yes, you can still use V-Sync, you just can't utilise the FreeSync feature inside the Monitor which can only be used with AMD Radeon GPUs.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

Are you questioning that they are or why they are?

It's up to Nvidia really... They provide G-Sync to the manufacturers to implement in the Monitors. FreeSync is open-source so as far as i know even Nvidia could allow their GPUs to support it and hence FreeSync monitors are cheap because they don't need a huge premium to license G-Sync. I wouldn't expect Nvidia to support FreeSync anytime soon though (it would be nice for consumers but then we don't need to buy G-Sync....)

Have you used V-Sync before? It introduced noticeable lag and I cannot stand it in the games I play. I have taken to frame capping using MSI afterburner to prevent screen tearing, this works very well without the lag. However my next monitor and gpu upgrade will have G-Sync.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
@CRO5513Y

I'm considering a G-Sync monitor but wonder how much I'm over paying for it. I haven't had a high refresh monitor before. I'm looking at the Acer Predator XB271HU and the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, the Asus being more expensive.

Is there anything your aware of that might be worth waiting for? Or do you expect the above monitors might drop in price any time?

We don't need to buy G-Sync, why not?

I'm looking at 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS or ultra wide 100Hz IPS but keep reading conflicting reviews on ultrawides. I want to pair with a 1080Ti so I have the option of playing 4k on TV.

I've just treated myself to a new car so pc upgrade is on hold till later in the summer.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Would that be the Asus ROG Swift or the Acer Predator at 27"? AOC and Viewsonic also have G-Sync 27"... I really don't like the legs on the Acer Predator XB271HU (red)... The ROG is the priciest, not sure how much the extra 44hz is worth over 100hz...