Question Windows 10 can´t find BlueRay drive ?

Nov 3, 2023
PC with Win10. Secondary HDD in Mobile Slot disappeared in Win Explorer and BlueRay unit too. They were not in Device Manager either. Changed SATA socket on motherboard for secondary HDD and then it was found. A little later it disappeared again. Found both devices in BIOS. Changed to new SATA cables for both drives and then Windows found HDD2, but still not the BlueRay drive.

I went into services.msc and disabled "Shell Hardware Detection". booted and now BlueRay drive was found in Windows Explorer. I Reactivated re-enabled "Shell Hardware Detection", booted and BlueRay disappeared again. But, now I see at least in Device Manager. HDD2 has a drive letter D.

The BlueRay drive should have drive letter E, but it is not visible.
I plugged in a USB thumb drive and it got drive letter F, but E is still not visible.

Does anyone have any tips to solve this?

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
It can't be much. I still have 2 (Win 11) BD drives and 1HDR with the correct bios to read and write but not view HDR 4k Blu-ray disk, all internal + Blu-ray USB type C external drive. Also a backup PC running Windows 10 with 1 internal and USB drive is optional. Since you have changed the cable and tried at least one other MB SATA output, maybe the controller is dying. Try a 3rd cable and a known enabled SATA output. Remember under certain condition select SATA outputs get disabled. Refer to your user manual.