W2K do not load drivers for CD-ROM/CD-WRITER

torbjors

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
I have a serious problem with loading drivers for my CD-ROM and CD-WRITER. Device manager says error code 31. I've seen one post earlier about this, but no replies to it.

I bought a CD-WRITER (SONY CD-RW CRX140E, ide) and installed it as master on secondary IDE. My old CD-ROM was set as slave. Windows 2000 detected my CD-Writer immediately and everything seemed to be working fine. Then I installed WinOnCD writer software and Adaptec DirectCD. I don't know if it happened just after these installations, but i suddenly could not find the drive letters for either of the CD-ROM's. In device manager the drives are recognized, but drivers are not loaded (Code 31).

I've now used 6 hours troubleshooting this, searching for help on the web and so on.

What I have done without success:
*Uninstalled drivers. W2K finds new HW and installs drivers again, but it will not load them.
*Booted in safety mode. W2K would still not load the drivers.
*Disconnected one by one of the CD-ROM and CD-WRITER. The loading W2K with only one of them connected.
*Changed master/slave settings.
*Tried CD-WRITER as slave on PRIMARY IDE channel. W2K would still not load the driver.
*Flashed latest BIOS version for my motherboard. BIOS has always recognized both the devices during boot up...

What i know i have not tried is to run "format c:\", but i am hoping to avoid that option. I even don't know if that will help, i might end up in same problems anyway...

I'm hoping someone know how to fix this and will give me some help. I would really appreciate that, and i'll give you all my thanks in advance.

For information:
Motherboard: MSI K7T Pro, Duron 600Mhz,64MB SDRAM (waiting for additional 256MB:)
CD-ROM: Good old Goldstar GCD-R580B
CD-WRITER: SONY CRX140ERP
Hard drives: IBM DTLA 20GB + an old 1.2GB Seagate (master/slave on primary IDE).

Windows2000 is installed with service pack 1.

G

Hey, I've seen an explanation of this and the solution within the past week. I'm just not positive WHERE I saw it. I think it was in either a Knowledge Base article on Microsoft's website or an Adaptec tech support page (now located at www.roxio.com). Try running some searches in their databases. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll look through my history files when I get home from work.

torbjors

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
If you could direct me, that would be very nice. I found something on www.roxy.com about setting registry entries back to default, but it didn't help. And that was also a case when Adaptec Easy CD Creator was uninstalled, which I've never installed.

torbjors

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
I finally found the solution in a posting on computing.net

Here is the solution for everyone of you which encounters the same problems as me:
------------
pasted from http://computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/8648.html
------------
Name: Duane
Date: January 09, 2001 at 12:09:11 Pacific
Subject: CODE 31 WOES

Reply:
Go to Control Panel Select Add/Remove Software Choose Windows Media Player and click Remove - Check 'Allow Removal of Shared Components' Check the Adaptec CD-Burning plugin Once this is finished let the system reboot and the CD Rom should be back.