w7 home premium upgrade retail to new machine?

theguywhoasks

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I'm Going for a new build and I was wondering if it's possible to use the same key in another different build?(I'm changing the motherboard too ofcourse....)Also, will I have to download windows X first to download w7 from the cd?

Solution

Where did that install come from? Preinstalled? Or something you bought and installed?

USAFRet

Titan

1 key, 1 PC. If you want to use that same key on the new machine, now the old machine has no OS.

Also, it depends on exactly what you have on the old machine. An OEM copy? If so, it is licensed to that original motherboard. You may be able to get MS to allow activation on new hardware, but they are under no obligation to do so.

"windows X" ? What do you mean by that?

theguywhoasks

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

forgot to type the "p" windows xp. How do I tell if it's an oem version?

theguywhoasks

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

I'ts an old pc that a friend made for me (this is the version http://ii.alatest.com/product/full/c/0/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade-Edition-Single-License-DVD-0.jpg)

USAFRet

Titan

Right. So you have an Upgrade Win 7 (upgrade from Vista). The license key for that is only viable when you upgrade.So you'd have to install Vista first, activate it, then run that upgrade. You can't just install that fresh on a new drive/PC.

And again....the old PC is now left without an OS.
Just buy a new OS for the new PC.

theguywhoasks

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013