Wada: Final Fantasy XIV a Serious WoW Rival

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
A lot of people hated how FFXI requires constant party searching to level properly. Copying WoW would mean FFXIV will focus a lot on soloing. That would suck IMHO. Finding a party is hard, but the whole experience is much more rewarding. Solo grinding then coming out only for raids makes an MMO kinda lonely.

kanaric

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
"A solo friendly MMO..."

A solo mmo isn't a mmo at all so they will fail to compete with wow.

I like how they also insist that wow needs a sequel, this game could be continuously updated for 40 years if they want to. A game named final fantasy xiv to begin with is a bad marketing idea as well because people will think of it as a sequel to previous products and fail to bring in people new to the series compared to a game named Final Fantasy Online.

The only reason MMO sequels have failed is because the userbase is split between the two games. WoW will not have that problem because it probably will not have a sequel.

[citation][nom]Exodite8[/nom]"It's the social aspects of MMO's that make them appealing."I can't say that I agree with that.While I'll freely admit that the ability to play with my friends, if I'm so inclined, is a bonus I'd say the main attraction of MMOs is that it's almost impossible to run out of content.Compared to single-player games with campaigns ranging from 5-10 to 100-200 hours worth of gameplay a MMO takes it to an entirely different level. My WoW main has around 120 days, so roughly 3000 hours, worth of gameplay and I'm nowhere near "done" with the game. In fact, I'm quite casual compared to many players I know.Aiming the MMOs more towards single-player content can be a great boon for the gaming masses, I'm sure we'll have statistics on the matter soon enough.[/citation]

While they have loads of content, do you really think you'd spend the time to play those many hours if it wasn't for the interaction and cooperation of other players? Even if it's just PvP, it's the fact you interact and socialize that keeps you playing the never ending content.

Most the content isn't all that great, but the social interaction while going through it does make it a lot more fun. It's a lot like playing basketball alone. It's not much fun unless there are friends there to play with.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]skit75[/nom]I'm still holding my breath for Microsoft to do something with the Shadowrun franchise, previously owned by FASA Corp. Lots of potential there if they ever dust it off.The last FF I played was VII. FF3 was my favorite though.[/citation]I'd kill for a competent Shadowrun MMORPG. It'll probably never happen though. Crafting a unique character in Shadowrun is always awesome, especially with the range of equipment and magical and technological enhancements. It would be extremely difficult to pull off, though, and it would need some modification to better fit an MMORPG enviroment.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Blizard's move to use cartoony graphics is not a flaw, but probably the biggest reason it's still such a success. (btw, I used to play WoW, and a few other MMORPG's).The cartoony graphics has a couple advantages:1) Cartoon models don't age as fast. The game is still appealing today, even though most realistic looking games written at the time WoW was look horribly outdated. Cartoons don't age so poorly.2) Low end machines work on WoW. It makes the game far more accessable. And while the game is rather easy, it also scales to become quite difficult at the high end with heroic content, 10 man raids, 25 man raids and up as well as a PvP environment (I'm not completely up todate, as it's been a couple years for me).It has something for most crowds.The part that caught my eye with this interview, as how they said it would be less party-centric. If they give soloability and good reasons to continue the party system, then that's a good move, but MMORPG's that don't reward a party system fail. It's the social aspects of MMO's that make them appealing.[/citation]

so then why dont they put low ,mid and, high (maybe ultra high) so the player can select what plays best on their pc.

[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]so then why dont they put low ,mid and, high (maybe ultra high) so the player can select what plays best on their pc.[/citation]

They do have different levels of graphic quality, but like I said, they made a very wise decision to make them cartoony as an artistic choice.

They didn't try to make them look real. Cartoony models are by definition to look like a cartoon. This choice is allows their graphics to not look bad with age.

While you may prefer ultra realistic looking graphics, many people actually prefer to see the artistic nature of Blizard's cartoony graphics which don't require updating to look good.

Someone else mentioned how HORRIBLE that Age of Conan looks on another thread. Just a couple years ago, at release, people considered it to look really good.

I love realistic graphics as much as the next guy, but you have to admit, realistic looking games become horribly ugly within a couple years as technology advances. WoW has been around for at least 5 years, and still getting more subscribers, no other MMORPG has done so well in the long hall. I personally credit the cartoony graphics ability to not age badly.

G

"While they have loads of content, do you really think you'd spend the time to play those many hours if it wasn't for the interaction and cooperation of other players?"

Personally?

I know I do, since I neither raid nor play Arena. The real question is how large a part of the potential playerbase of the up-and-coming MMOs feel the same way.

Regardless, your point is well taken even if I feel it should be stressed that they've mentioned putting a focus on the solo experienced as opposed to removing the multi-player parts entirely, which would something entirely different.

For example, you don't need much actual content to encourage PvP.

G

Final Fantasy has been and will always be a single player rpg. No matter what Square-Enix plans are I will never buy a FF MMO and I played every single FF game!

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
What happened to the long, complex, interesting story-line? EQ, in my opinion, had the BEST storyline to follow, even through EQ2. In fact, in the early days you were allowed to pick a deity, and as the story unfolded, all the gods tried to stop the races and thus you were able to kill your own god that you followed! BRILLIANT! there were some expansions that didnt make too much sense, but the original storyline of EQ is like a book. Just google "EQ Lore and start from the begining, there are some pretty in-depth stories...

This is how a game should be and what ANY good game will be based on.

Also, in EQ1, there was progression in the POP expansion, that in itself was absolutely brilliant, they may have made it more raid-dependant, but it still made people want to play...

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I miss the social aspects of games like EQ where you needed to group with people in order to progress. However, times were different then. The internet was still new, anyone remember ICQ and waiting 15 seconds for your message to send? The online gaming community has lost much of its maturity because of its increased accessibility. Many more kids are playing and many people have learned that you don't need to respect other people because of anonymity. Subsequently this has negatively impacted the social experience of many MMO's, thus it's less desirable to progress through a game with people you have never met before.

WoW's PvE is easy because of the games popularity. I'm told that there are still Boss's that came out on release for FFXI that nobody has killed. The difference here is because WoW has become so incredibly popular people have gone through the trouble of creating private servers where they can give themselves god mode so they can learn all of the mechanics in an encounter, this is then given to some of the top world guilds in the game (who get paid to clear content), they then release the video's of the strategy to win the encounter and everyone copies them. If you actually look at the scripting of some of the boss's in wow, it's pretty amazing and you have to wonder how on earth could anyone figure this out legitimately.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Raidur[/nom]WoW is the most overrated MMORPG ever. The PvE content is weak and easy as hell. The PvP could be much better. Not to mention the graphics are HORRIBLE and cartoony. Oh yeah, and the community is even worse than the graphics... I don't even remember a day that I played WoW and didn't hear a chuck norris joke... come on. (I played for a week and got a char to lvl 45 and got way too bored with the easy-as-hell PvE)I know how to beat wow, take Vanguard:SOH's PvE and graphics and combine that with Warhammer's RvR/PvP. Would be an easy takeover.[/citation]

Making a game's PvE content "harder" than WoW's is not a wise idea. Sure, leveling is easy, leveling shouldn't be very hard. Top tier PvE content in WoW is not "easy", especially when you move on to hard-mode raiding.

Yes, what you describe will attract a few hardcore gamers at first, but the casual fan-base, of which any MMO needs to be as successful as WoW, will not leave WoW for a harder game.

While that might not appeal to the more harder-core gamers, that is not the bracket which made WoW as big of a success as it is.

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Anybody that doesn't have a level 80 that has hit raiding content can't say WoW is easy. The game STARTS at 80. 1-80 is just learning your class. The end game raids post Naxx have a regular and hard mode to challenge all types of people. Not to mention certain classes are so easy to play and level, they can almost level themselves compared to other classes.

IMO the only MMO that might come close to booting WoW from the #1 spot is Blizzard's next MMO. Blizzard has learned the ins and outs of what works and what doesn't to appeal to the masses. This is why WoW keeps evolving every patch day.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Every time I hear something new coming for the Final Fantasy franchise, I can't help but reminisce the joy I had playing over and over again through FF1, FF3 and FF6. I truly wish there could be a game that makes me feel the way I used to playing those. However, since then, FF has turned into a 90% sci-fi, 10% fantasy manga with neverending cutscenes. I have low expectations from FFXIV, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. As I see it, the only thing that can take me off WoW would be The Old Republic.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I played EQ for years, what killed it was turinging it into EverExpansion. Wow isn't a bad game, but I quit due to the repetitiveness thats required to get one item, rinse and repeat. This is not limited to raids, but the casual player has to deal with it also.

And add the cost of playing ... $180/year .... doesn't sound as bad saying $15/month does it.

More MMOs need to use LOTR lifetime subscriptions, I could play as I wanted, instead of feeling like I am cheating myself by not playing for a month or two while still paying the $15.

[citation][nom]Exodite9[/nom] your point is well taken even if I feel it should be stressed that they've mentioned putting a focus on the solo experienced as opposed to removing the multi-player parts entirely.[/citation]

It's not that I disagree, I think we may be on the same page, but there are different ways to take their message and even yours.

Giving solo play more availibility and enjoyable experience is important if you want to take on WoW. Making the game reward you equally or more than party play isn't good. Many people who enjoy the game with the party system will still be drawn to the easier nature of solo play, then become bored. (there are plenty of examples of this happening in past MMO's).

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Why would you want to 'rival' up against WoW? Who said WoW was the rule, not the exception? Who said in order to be successful you have to break that 'golden' 10 million subscriber mark?

In all honesty I'd rather have a more unique game play experience that doesn't try to appeal to everyone but try's to be as compelling as possible. The reason games fail is that they try to appeal to everyone while trying to be in their own little world. It's either one, or the other.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It would be nice to see someone challenge WoW. Then maybe Blizzard would get off their butts and release Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and the MMO they have yet to name. Instead it seems they are going to continually nurse everything they can out of WoW until it's not the leader anymore. Though I can't blame them, I would say WoW's biggest competition in the future is probably Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2. I am hopeful for Bioware's new MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.