[SOLVED] Wait for Comet Lake or buy the best i7 now?

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Should I wait for Comet Lake-S to be available for purchase, or just buy the best i7 intel cpu now?

And what is the difference between Comet Lake-H and Comet Lake-S?

I use my PC for dev, surfing web, photoshop, preimer pro video editing, novel writing, etc.

I'm going to build a new custom PC with all new parts. The specs in my sig will be completely replaced with the exception of the drives and monitors. My total budget for the custom build is $550. Thanks.

Solution
$550 might get you the best i7(9700k), but it's not going to get you a complete pc. The 9700k sells for about $380. Depending on how much ram you want, and the cost of the motherboard, you're right at your budget for just the cpu side of things. You'll still need a cooler, gpu, psu and case if you don't plan on using your current case.

S vs H, I think is desktop(S) or laptop.

Looking at your current specs, you've held onto that current rig for a while now. What's a few more months of waiting for a new release. You may save money buying a 10th gen I7.
$550 might get you the best i7(9700k), but it's not going to get you a complete pc. The 9700k sells for about $380. Depending on how much ram you want, and the cost of the motherboard, you're right at your budget for just the cpu side of things. You'll still need a cooler, gpu, psu and case if you don't plan on using your current case.

Looking at your current specs, you've held onto that current rig for a while now. What's a few more months of waiting for a new release. You may save money buying a 10th gen I7.

Solution

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016

oops sorry, I meant to say i5 not the i7 for the $550 total budget.

I think comet lake is supposed to be available for sale on May 30. Yeah, I think I'll wait it out. Thanks.

The i5 will save you almost 200 on the cpu cost, but 550 is still a little shy on budget for a complete rig minus drives.

An entry level gpu is about $150, psu 75ish for a good quality unit. If you could budget closer to 700, I think you could build a decent rig.

Is may 30th official launch date? If so definitely wait! At least see what folks have to say about them. I feel the i5 10600k will be basically an 8700k with slightly faster speeds. So definitely the way to go there!

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
The i5 will save you almost 200 on the cpu cost, but 550 is still a little shy on budget for a complete rig minus drives.

An entry level gpu is about $150, psu 75ish for a good quality unit. If you could budget closer to 700, I think you could build a decent rig.

Is may 30th official launch date? If so definitely wait! At least see what folks have to say about them. I feel the i5 10600k will be basically an 8700k with slightly faster speeds. So definitely the way to go there!

Good points. I'll bump up my budget limit if required. Yes, It's due for release on May 30th. I'll wait patiently. :)

Here's a quick 9600k list. Just choosing cheaper components to get the lowest cost possible. No drives included, 16gb ram, 1650S. Pcpartpicker was showing very high prices on psu, or no prices. I'm guessing a lot of restocking going on and it's not showing correctly as some 80 psu were showing for 200+. So psu in this list in just a price filler, and not necessarily one I'd actually recommend.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/K7QMdm

From what I've read 10thgen cpu prices will be similar, but board prices may be higher. To compensate I chose a cheaper z series board and not a cheap b series. Again just kind of a possible price filler. No news on how much the new lga1200 boards will be priced at. Or whether b series will be available at launch.

Have you considered a ryzen build? A 9600k vs a 3600 would be priced close, but with ryzen you do get hyperthreading. But 10th gen will have that also if you stick with intel.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Here's a quick 9600k list. Just choosing cheaper components to get the lowest cost possible. No drives included, 16gb ram, 1650S. Pcpartpicker was showing very high prices on psu, or no prices. I'm guessing a lot of restocking going on and it's not showing correctly as some 80 psu were showing for 200+. So psu in this list in just a price filler, and not necessarily one I'd actually recommend.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/K7QMdm

From what I've read 10thgen cpu prices will be similar, but board prices may be higher. To compensate I chose a cheaper z series board and not a cheap b series. Again just kind of a possible price filler. No news on how much the new lga1200 boards will be priced at. Or whether b series will be available at launch.

Have you considered a ryzen build? A 9600k vs a 3600 would be priced close, but with ryzen you do get hyperthreading. But 10th gen will have that also if you stick with intel.

Thank you for the parts list. Much appreciated.

Since lga1200 boards might not be released in time for Comet Lake, should I just go ahead and get a current, high performing i5 and compatible board instead?

I have considered a Ryzen build, but a plethora of problems reported with the Samsung EVO drives installed in a Ryzen rig persuaded me not to go for a Ryzen build.