[SOLVED] Wait for Ryzen 6000 Series and DDR5?

XBloodyR

Reputable
Apr 3, 2017
So currently I have:
Ryzen 1700
Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200 Mhz
GTX 1080 Aorus Extreme Edition
B350 Tomahawk
XFX 550 Watts PSU

From the beginning I was rather disappointed with the mainboard, because they didn't seem to get everything running properly no matter what BIOS changes they made.
Even now 3 years later I am running the ram on just 2666 Mhz...
But that's not really the point. I am definitely keeping the GPU, was quite lucky to still get it when it was just 550€ in price. Also don't want 4K gaming at all.
I was just asking myself if I should upgrade to Ryzen 5600/5700 and basically just keep my DDR4 ram and finally utilize the 3200 Mhz fully with a new board or just wait till I guess early 2022 for DDR5 and Ryzen 6600/6700 ?
How much benefit will there be from DDR5 over DDR4? How much is known about Ryzen 6000 series?

Solution
So currently I have:
Ryzen 1700
B350 Tomahawk
XFX 550 Watts PSU

From the beginning I was rather disappointed with the mainboard, because they didn't seem to get everything running properly no matter what BIOS changes they made.
But that's not really the point. I am definitely keeping the GPU, was quite lucky to still get it when it was just 550€ in price. Also don't want 4K gaming at all.
I was just asking myself if I should upgrade to Ryzen 5600/5700 and basically just keep my DDR4 ram and finally utilize the 3200 Mhz fully with a new board or just wait till I guess early 2022 for DDR5 and Ryzen 6600/6700 ...
So currently I have:
Ryzen 1700
B350 Tomahawk
XFX 550 Watts PSU

I was just asking myself if I should upgrade to Ryzen 5600/5700 and basically just keep my DDR4 ram and finally utilize the 3200 Mhz fully with a new board or just wait till I guess early 2022 for DDR5 and Ryzen 6600/6700 ?
How much benefit will there be from DDR5 over DDR4? How much is known about Ryzen 6000 series?
DDR5 over DDR4? about same as DDR3 over DDR4, DDR to DDR2 etc. Even jumps of double RAM speed results in just few % of overall performance. By itself it's not a reason to wait just for new RAM.
More important is what CPUs of newer generations using DDR5 will bring. Everything else is coincidental with it.
About MB and RAM. Those first 300 series chipset MBs had serious flaw with memory handling and architecture, coupled with relatively poor memory controller in first gen Ryzen is serious impediment which was rectified in 2nd gen Ryzen and 400 series chipset which culminated with MBs with 500 series chipsets and 5000 series Ryzen. It's almost flawless now enabling 4000MHz+ memory with all 4 slots used.

Reactions: XBloodyR
Solution
I know you said you don’t care for your board, but a middle step would be grab a zen 2 cpu(3000 series) as those probably work with your board. I’m running a 3600 in an asrock b350 board, but starting to want to grab a 500 series board and jump to a 5000 series cpu. But waiting until next generation might be a good idea in my case. But I think you’d see a nice performance bump even going to the 3000 series cpus.

So currently I have:
Ryzen 1700
B350 Tomahawk
XFX 550 Watts PSU

The first gen ryzen and 300 series chipset Mobo were very fussy and issues with memory were very common. While you can get the new processor the first question would be "do you need an upgrade?" Just spending money on new processor(5600x/5700x) and Mobo for utilising the full speed of 3200Mhz is not ideal. So if your current system is performing according to your needs then.... why to spend? Also my suggestion would be now that you are usinga a 8c cpu upgrade to +8c cpu like 10900k or 5900x but not below 8.
Also keep in mind the platform with DDR5 memory won't be cheap, and it's also possible that there can be Mobo which might support both DDR4 and DDR5(not together obviously) since it was possible on skylake cpu but that could not be the case also. So my opinion would be enjoy your pc especially during the shortages and upgrade only when you need.

Reactions: XBloodyR and King_V
Another thing to keep in mind, with the way the markets have been going, who knows how available ddr5, new cpus etc will be. I know I've been kicking the idea around of buying a b450 board that supports Ryzen 3000 series to use my cpu in, and then upgrading to 5000 series and let my system hold on until the new platforms settle and get refined somewhat.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it's working, and meeting your needs, I'd say stay with it, and don't worry about being stuck with only 2666MHz RAM speeds.

Hell, I'm still relying on a Haswell-era i5 with DDR3 RAM. I have been tempted by Zen 3/AM4, but I'm waiting for Zen 4/AM5 and all that comes with it.

logainofhades

Titan
If it's working, and meeting your needs, I'd say stay with it, and don't worry about being stuck with only 2666MHz RAM speeds.

Hell, I'm still relying on a Haswell-era i5 with DDR3 RAM. I have been tempted by Zen 3/AM4, but I'm waiting for Zen 4/AM5 and all that comes with it.

2666 is detrimental to Ryzen performance, especially on 1st gen Ryzen. Going with a good B450, or x470, board and reusing everything else, then later bumping to a 5000 series chip isn't a terrible idea.

XBloodyR

Reputable
Apr 3, 2017
Thanks everyone for replying. I've concluded out of my experience with the very unstable first releases of the b350 boards which affected me even more at first, I don't want to wait for the DDR5 with new Mobos and Ryzen 6000. After all there might be issues with these as well and I also imagine the price to be too high for me. With the possibility of me also having to obviously buy new ram while I have a perfectly functioning pair that is not even fully utilized yet kinda takes it over the edge.
So I decided to go with it and now ordered a Ryzen 5600x along with a MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus. Don't really see a reason to get the 3600x because its pretty much the same price with the 5600x being better and I really don't want to hold on to this MB anymore, the BIOS updates have been making things even worse at some point and I really would like to utilize the full ram speed and have a hopefully even more stable system.
As for the 5800x for the 8 cores, it's not really worth it for me at all because I'm mostly about gaming. So I think all in all this is going to be an amazing upgrade for me for cheap.
Paid 375€ in total. And I'm pretty sure I can sell these parts for 100-150€ too and make up some of the price.