[SOLVED] Wait to plug in additional drives while installing Windows 10?

DerCribben

Reputable
Jun 18, 2019
Hi, so I'm building a new computer, in this new computer I'll be installing 7 drives, 3 M.2 NVMe, 2 SATA SSD, and 2 HDD.

A buddy of mine who builds systems for a living told me that I should only have my boot drive installed while I install Windows 10, and then plug the rest of the drives in afterwards once the computer is set up and operating (while it's shut down, or following proper hot plug procedures).

He's not available to ask for a few days, and it looks like getting this sytem set up, and THEN installing all of these M.2 drives (my boot drive will be a standard sata ssd) will be a big PITA. One of them is under the heatsink cooler, and I'll have to pull out the GPU to get at the others (not that big of a deal).

Does anyone know why he suggested only having the boot drive in while I load Windows 10? And what the less desirable effect might be if I just install all these M.2 drives now as I'm building the rest?

I know it's not a lot to go on but I suspect SOMEONE at least will know why he made that suggestion and what the pros/cons are.

Thanks!

Solution
PITA or no, that is what needs to be done.

Install the OS with ONLY the desired drive connected.

Why?
What happens is that the boot partition gets installed on one of the other drives. Not something you choose or indicate....it just does it.
Later, when you want to repurpose that drive, or do some troubleshooting...much more PITA.

USAFRet

Titan
PITA or no, that is what needs to be done.

Install the OS with ONLY the desired drive connected.

Why?
What happens is that the boot partition gets installed on one of the other drives. Not something you choose or indicate....it just does it.
Later, when you want to repurpose that drive, or do some troubleshooting...much more PITA.

Reactions: DerCribben
Solution
Is a Best Practice thing.

To the extreme, some of us like to build PC, BREADBORDING. Start with the minimum bootable, even Mobo outside the case, once it boots up (CPU OK), then proceed to mount the rest of the stuff. Because what happens if you mount everything, after hours of carefully routing neat cables and what not and the dang thing doesn't boot, what do you do then. Do things one step at a time allows you to methodically say, a-ha, the last thing I did messed it up, and u can back off easy and find out what's what.

OK a compromise, u got your tight real estate issue, go ahead and physically mount your storage anyway, just leave them UNPLUG, power and data. I can live with that. Then once you can boot Windows with your SSD, then power off the whole rig, then proceed to cable plug and make live your remaining storage.

Reactions: DerCribben

DerCribben

Reputable
Jun 18, 2019
Ok, thanks, I don't mind the PITA if it's necessary and not just a preference with negligible benefit. I'd have asked my buddy if I could, but you've helped me immensely.

I'd install and just leave the power out but the M.2 drives don't give me that option they're basically all or nothing. I'm sure I can get in there after the build is done.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS