Wake on lan not working properly in public network.

Oct 28, 2018
Yesterday, I've setup WOL and works perfectly when my phone tries to wake my PC up. (Both devices are in the same network). Then I thought it would work if I use my public IP (Such as 1.285.274.392)instead of local IP (192.168.8.28). After port forwarding and some setup. It works perfectly. (Both devices are STILL in the same network).

Then today, I try to wake my computer up when I'm outside home (e.g. school). I try to wake my PC up but failed. I thought it would be my phone network provider blocking this packet. So I try to use some online wake on Lan too. But still, fail. So now I'm pretty sure it's because of my router blocking my WoL magic packet. Anyone know how to disable the protection (I've already done the port forwarding as above mentioned). My router is HUAWEI HG8045Q

Solution
Short answer there is no such thing as wake on WAN.

All the stuff you find on port forwarding etc are basically invalid. WoL does not actually use IP address or ports it only uses mac addresses. So many people writing the things you find on port forwarding etc have no concept of how WoL really works and they just parrot the setting they found else where.

Microsoft unfortunately has also been involved in this so there are other sleep status that are not actually WoL but some other microsoft proprietary thing.

Before you go to lots of trouble you really need to consider why you are attempting this in the first place. Most computer have very energy efficient sleep states that you can still gain remote access to without using...
Short answer there is no such thing as wake on WAN.

All the stuff you find on port forwarding etc are basically invalid. WoL does not actually use IP address or ports it only uses mac addresses. So many people writing the things you find on port forwarding etc have no concept of how WoL really works and they just parrot the setting they found else where.

Microsoft unfortunately has also been involved in this so there are other sleep status that are not actually WoL but some other microsoft proprietary thing.

Before you go to lots of trouble you really need to consider why you are attempting this in the first place. Most computer have very energy efficient sleep states that you can still gain remote access to without using WoL. The power saving difference is not a lot to really justify the effort of WoL.

SO.

The reason the port forwarding hack does not consistently work is the ARP entry for the ip address will time out.

The way you can make it work is to use even a more ambitious non standard setup. You need to set a static arp entry for the IP you have port mapped to the broadcast MAC address.

Still you can not do that because your router does not support the setting of static ARP entries.

The best solution if you actually need real WoL is to have a router that you can log into and request it send a real WoL packet on your behalf or have another device active to send the WoL. I know some people use raspberry pi.

We are quickly back to is it really worth all the effort.

Solution