[SOLVED] Wake On Lan not working when remote

Jan 28, 2019
So I've spent some time trying to get WOL to work when I'm away at work and have needs for a file on my home computer.

I have gone through these steps:
- DNS address added in the router
- made a permanent IP address for my computer I'm trying to access
- Setup teamviewer appropriately to wake up then connect

So far, it's worked when I'm local. I changed BIOS to allow WOL over ethernet. I turned off my PC completely and then sent the packet and it worked. But now it's the next day and I'm away and it will not boot up when i send the magic packet.

Are there more BIOS settings I should be changing?

Does the computer enter a deeper sleep over time that's not allowing my packet to work?

It's confusing because I have made it work. I've even had it wake from sleep when I was away from the house, but apparently it's inconsistent.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Solution
It's confusing because I have made it work. I've even had it wake from sleep when I was away from the house, but apparently it's inconsistent.
How do you know this, u working with a partner at home? Tip: testing this yourself, u put the box to sleep then "come in" to your box from the OUTSIDE by using your cellular network.

Possibly. Intel has this C6/C7 deep sleep whatever, but I find them completely unnecessary. Normal sleep ACPI 3 is been around for a long time, what I use, and sips low enough power when asleep.

This subject been discussed ad-nauseum. I suggest search for WOW WAKE (Wake on Wan).
How do you know this, u working with a partner at home? Tip: testing this yourself, u put the box to sleep then "come in" to your box from the OUTSIDE by using your cellular network.

Possibly. Intel has this C6/C7 deep sleep whatever, but I find them completely unnecessary. Normal sleep ACPI 3 is been around for a long time, what I use, and sips low enough power when asleep.

This subject been discussed ad-nauseum. I suggest search for WOW WAKE (Wake on Wan).

Solution