wake on lan not working

apeironn

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I'm trying to configure wake on lan on a taichi xe motherboard using teamviewer

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-does-Wake-on-LAN-WOL-with-TeamViewer-work/ta-p/33

I have Enable Power On by PCIE on uefi
fast startup is off
on network card wake on magic packet is checked and on latest drivers

my router seems configured properly, when I send a wakeup request I can see the packet being received in the log with the correct destination

the lan cable still flashes when in sleep mode

yet the pc stays asleep. I'm on windows 10

anything else I should be aware of?

Solution
First there is no such thing as wake on WAN. You would have to leave some machine like you laptop turned on and on team viewer and it then send the packet. Some routers...asus in particular..have a WoL feature where you can remotely access the router and ask it to send the packet on the lan.

From looking at the team viewer document it appears they are advocating the more or less standard hack that can make this work.

The huge assumption they make is that you can set a static ARP entry in a consumer router. They then pretend oh if it is not magically set then just telnet or ssh into the router. Ya sure how many consumer routers allow telent/ssh.

I suspect leaving the desktop and not bothering is your best plan. New pc have...
If you manually send the wake on lan packet from the other computer without using team viewer does it work. There really should be no difference sitting at the keyboard and sending the WoL to the other computer and remote controlling that computer with team viewer and sending the same packet.

It is not uncommon for WoL to not properly work. Microsoft has gotten involved with this mess and has many other sleep modes. The Bios support is kinda inconsistent so you need to experiment with the options.

When you get it so you can send the WoL from your control PC to the sleeping pc and it wakes up then you can try the remote access part of this.

apeironn

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

right so I've installed wireshark to try and troubleshoot the issue. I'm using a little utility called wake on lan from depicus.com which allows sending the packet over both local network and over the internet.

I'm able to pick up the wol packet over the local network and that works, though over the internet it never reaches either the router or wireshark

doing it through teamviewer it shows up on my router log as it matches my port forwarding rule
Sep 20 16:53:56 syslog: [ 5546.336000] always->udp9IN=pppoa0 OUT=br0 MAC= SRC=185.188.32.22 DST=192.168.0.2 LEN=130 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=116 ID=7431 PROTO=UDP SPT=59329 DPT=9 LEN=110 MARK=0x8000000

but the pc doesn't wake up

Is the computer running teamviewer the same one you're trying to wake?
There is another option to wake from a computer that's online. port forwarding not required for this, because the computer is maintaining a connection to teamviewers servers already.
the requirements to wake with a packet over wan might be more specific or your router is dropping it.

look at 5.2 on here
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/res/pdf/teamviewer-manual-wake-on-lan-en.pdf

apeironn

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

Thanks failboat, the teamviewer account has a couple computers assigned to it, my main desktop and my laptop, then I can use the laptop to wake my main over the internet when I'm away and remote into it.

the 5.2 would kinda defeat the purpose I think..at that point I may as well just leave my main desktop always on and not bother trying to wake it up.

First there is no such thing as wake on WAN. You would have to leave some machine like you laptop turned on and on team viewer and it then send the packet. Some routers...asus in particular..have a WoL feature where you can remotely access the router and ask it to send the packet on the lan.

From looking at the team viewer document it appears they are advocating the more or less standard hack that can make this work.

The huge assumption they make is that you can set a static ARP entry in a consumer router. They then pretend oh if it is not magically set then just telnet or ssh into the router. Ya sure how many consumer routers allow telent/ssh.

I suspect leaving the desktop and not bothering is your best plan. New pc have a lot of sleep/power save modes. The difference in power savings of it being mostly off for WoL or in sleep is not that huge.

Solution
If your desktop is a skylake or newer it will power down to 15-20W idle. a big newer gpu can power down to very little or even off.
you can check with a killawatt reader. some OC and windows power settings negate these power savings features. if you have pre haswell-ep it might not downclock/down volt very much at all.

your laptop probably idles with very little power. making it a good target to wake other pcs up if that's what you want.