[SOLVED] Wake up Nas remotely

Aug 8, 2020
I am having some trouble figuring out remote access for my home network, and I wonder if a text savvy user can help me out.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me

My set up: I have a Ubee 1310 gateway, and behind it I have a Google Nest Wi-Fi mesh system. Connected to this Wi-Fi network is my WD My Cloud Ex2 Nas. I'd like to be able to access my home wifi remotely and if possible be able to wake up the Nas remotely from hibernation using wake-on-lan

Currently I can access the Nas remotely using Plex and the WD dashboard when it's not hibernating. But it's expensive to run it all the time so I prefer to wake it up when I need it

I'm having trouble opening ports on the Ubee 1310 and forwarding them to the Nas on Google Nest -- my ISP here in Medellin Colombia controls which ports are open on the modem. The ISP has opened several ports for TCP and disabled the Ubee's firewall, but the ports still appear closed to online port scanners such as CanYouSeeMe

If I could figure out how to open a port on the Ubee and forward it through the Nest to the Nas, I could send it a remote wake on LAN packet

I've looked a little about setting up a DDNS IP, but am not sure this will do the trick.

Has anybody grokked this type of situation before? Is there some obvious solution I haven't thought of?

Again thanks for any help

Solution
Are you sure it actually uses wake on lan or is it something else since they use some application to wake it.

Your problem is not your routers and port forwarding etc. Your problem is there is not such thing as Wake on "WAN". Technically wake on lan has no concept of ip addresses or ports it only uses mac addresses.

What you see people talking about making wake on lan work remotely it hack and the vast majority of the articles you find are idiots who just cut and paste stuff from other location.

The key problem is much worse than setting port forwarding rules. Without getting into great detail the problem is the ARP is timing out in the router. The router must have a the ability to set a static ARP address which almost none...
Are you sure it actually uses wake on lan or is it something else since they use some application to wake it.

Your problem is not your routers and port forwarding etc. Your problem is there is not such thing as Wake on "WAN". Technically wake on lan has no concept of ip addresses or ports it only uses mac addresses.

What you see people talking about making wake on lan work remotely it hack and the vast majority of the articles you find are idiots who just cut and paste stuff from other location.

The key problem is much worse than setting port forwarding rules. Without getting into great detail the problem is the ARP is timing out in the router. The router must have a the ability to set a static ARP address which almost none do. You almost always have to run third party software.

The only way to really get wake on lan to work remotely is to have special feature on the router. Asus for example lets you access the router itself and then request that it send a actual wol packet on your behalf.

Now before you spend lots of time chasing this why do you think it is expensive to run. The drives spin down even when it is on and has not been accessed in a short time, The specs say it draws 5 watts of power and I suspect that is while it is actually running. The total cost to run that for a year is likely between $5-$10.

Solution
Aug 8, 2020
Thanks a lot, Bill, for this helpful explanation. Actually because I hear the fans running in the Ex2 all the time, I assumed it was drawing a lot of juice. With your reply it seems I solve my problem by just using the software of the Ex2 to hibernate the device at night and leave it spun up all day long. So again, thanks!