[SOLVED] Wall mounting a heavy TV: is it safe, should I do it, and what precautions should I take?

hogwartsrikiblack

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
Hello! First of all, I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this, if it's not I'm sorry.

I bought an LG CX 65 inch OLED TV, and it's quite a heavy unit (24kg without stand). I got it with a plan in mind to mount it on my wall. I've never done this before (mounting a TV on my wall that is) and now I'm not quite sure if that's such a good idea.

First of all, is it safe? If it is, are there any special indications about what I should be doing? Should I just call an expert? I thought it was as simple as drilling a bunch of screws in the wall and sticking it there, but it seems like there is more to it. I have two walls I can attach it to: a concrete wall (this would be more resistant, but not great in terms of positioning, given the room layout), and an AAC (autoclaved aerated concrete) one, which is the one I want to ideally mount it on.

Will the AAC wall be good enough to hold a 24kg TV? Should I use any special screws? What about the mount? Is there anything I should be taking into consideration? Choices for mounts are somewhat limited in my area. I got a mount with a moving arm (it's called A+ SPBK446, rated for up to 70'' 48kg), which would be ideal, but now I realize having an arm would make it more likely to break. Should I return it and get a fixed wall mount instead?

Any other general tips I should be following?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, it's just that I've never done this before, and I don't want to break my new TV, especially since it wasn't exactly cheap :coldsweat:. I was thinking of trying to hang myself from the mount after I am done, but I weigh about 70kg, so that's definitely overkill.

Solution
Hello! First of all, I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this, if it's not I'm sorry.

I bought an LG CX 65 inch OLED TV, and it's quite a heavy unit (24kg without stand). I got it with a plan in mind to mount it on my wall. I've never done this before (mounting a TV on my wall that is) and now I'm not quite sure if that's such a good idea.

First of all, is it safe? If it is, are there any special indications about what I should be doing? Should I just call an expert? I thought it was as simple as drilling a bunch of screws in the wall and sticking it there, but it seems like there is more to it. I have two walls I can attach it to: a concrete wall (this would be more resistant, but not great in terms of...

kanewolf

Titan

First of all, is it safe? If it is, are there any special indications about what I should be doing? Should I just call an expert? I thought it was as simple as drilling a bunch of screws in the wall and sticking it there, but it seems like there is more to it. I have two walls I can attach it to: a concrete wall (this would be more resistant, but not great in terms of positioning, given the room layout), and an AAC (autoclaved aerated concrete) one, which is the one I want to ideally mount it on.

Will the AAC wall be good enough to hold a 24kg TV? Should I use any special screws? What about the mount? Is there anything I should be taking into consideration? Choices for mounts are somewhat limited in my area. I got a mount with a moving arm (it's called A+ SPBK446, rated for up to 70'' 48kg), which would be ideal, but now I realize having an arm would make it more likely to break. Should I return it and get a fixed wall mount instead?

Any other general tips I should be following?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, it's just that I've never done this before, and I don't want to break my new TV, especially since it wasn't exactly cheap :coldsweat:. I was thinking of trying to hang myself from the mount after I am done, but I weigh about 70kg, so that's definitely overkill.
You need to look at the AAC wall. There are articles on mounting on AAC -- https://www.vogels.com/en-us/c/tv-on-the-wall#muur
It looks like a little bit of a hassle but very doable.
There are youtube videos on drilling AAC walls.
The closer you keep the TV to the wall the less leverage there is.
I have always used Peerless mounts. More expensive than no-name, but worth it, IMO. Simplest option is a tilting only mount --https://www.peerless-av.com/collections/display-tv-mounts/products/st650?variant=29193758048371

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
First of all, is it safe?

If proper precautions are taken - TV mount appropriate for the weight, appropriate fasteners used for the wall in question etc, sure.

I have two walls I can attach it to: a concrete wall (this would be more resistant, but not great in terms of positioning, given the room layout), and an AAC (autoclaved aerated concrete) one, which is the one I want to ideally mount it on.

Admittedly, I have minimal knowledge regarding AAC - but there are different strength/density ratings. Probably a minimum required thickness for a secure hold too, but not sure what that might be. Safe to say you should probably know more than the fact you have AAC before going this route.

The 'true' concrete wall will be 'easier' on that front - shouldn't be any concerns in terms of holding.
BUT, you will require more heavy-duty tools to get the holes done etc (hammer drill etc, ideally).

Will the AAC wall be good enough to hold a 24kg TV? Should I use any special screws? What about the mount?
In all likelihood it should be plenty, but will depend on specifics, I think.

I'm sure there will be AAC targeted fasteners.

The mount shouldn't really matter, provided it's rated for what it has to hold and is securely mounted to the wall.

but now I realize having an arm would make it more likely to break. Should I return it and get a fixed wall mount instead?

Provided the mount is from a reputable brand, any weight rating will include full extension - unless specifically stated otherwise (I only recall seeing one mount marketed as Xlbs extends, Ylbs used as a flush-mount)... and for obvious reasons, I'd never consider one with different weight ratings whether extended or not if it feasibly can be extended.

Not sure of your layout, obviously - but worth considering whether an arm can allow you to mount to the true concrete wall and extend out from there.

Should I just call an expert?

That's the $1m question. Do you have the tools to tackle the job? If not, it might be worth calling around to get some prices and gauge how receptive contractors are to the AAC wall etc. If you don't have the tools & will have to buy or rent, I'd weigh that against any prices offered.