Wall to laptop connection not working but router works

Lezul

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Hi,

As the title states, for some reason, when I plug the Ethernet cable directly from the wall to my laptop, my laptop does not even recognize that the Ethernet cable is plugged in. However, when I plug in the same cable to my router, I have WIFI as well as direct connection from router to laptop. Is such a thing normal?

I'm just curious as I want to check whether or not my router is bottlenecking my internet speeds as I've had it for a few years already. I can't say I have much or any knowledge about networks so please tell me if you need any addition information! Currently running Windows 8.1 x64-bit if it matters.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Run a speedtest, then look at the QoS (Quality of Service) rating it gives as well as comparing the listed speeds to your package (note that most ISPs say they provide "up to X speed", so you may have to read the fine print to find out what their actual guarantee is -- usually 60-80% of the top speed).

Run it both with Wi-Fi only and with Ethernet only through the router.

Lezul

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Well I pay for the slowest contract at the moments which is a download speed of up to 16 Mbps but according to internetfrog I only get 1.37 Mbps. On the other hand, I have a QoS of 99%. Does that mean that the internet is my area is just that slow and I should wait for them to upgrade the line?