Walmart is Starting Black Friday On Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Americans have their priorities all screwed up. Thanksgiving and Christmas aren't supposed to be about "stuff".

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]mgilbert[/nom]Americans have their priorities all screwed up. Thanksgiving and Christmas aren't supposed to be about "stuff".[/citation]
In this country people care more about what they receive on Christmas rather than celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Walmart is too late. I remember seeing Kmart ads advertising Black Friday in July. I think we should just rename Black Friday to National Save The Economy Day. This might be the first year I actually don't buy anything at all. I think paying those inflated gas prices to visit various family members is enough money spent this year.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I did black friday one year with a friend and let me tell you the feeling of getting only 1 of the 20 tvs they had was pretty epic as you walked out of the store and a 1000 people are staring at you. Will I do it again heck no but it was fun with my friend although it snowed during the night waiting for the store to open which kind of sucked.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]In this country people care more about what they receive on Christmas rather than celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.[/citation]
Not everyone in this country is of a faith that recognizes Christmas. But they enjoy the feelings of good will regardless, and since they have nothing better to do on the 25th, use the time that they get off work to shop, when possible...

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]In this country people care more about what they receive on Christmas rather than celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.[/citation]

Of course we do - fairy tales are for kids.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I hate this. Black Friday use to be fun. Spend Thanksgiving with family and then a few of us cousins would take off after everything was winding down to go line up at the store we picked. It was a blast camping out as much as it was to shop.

Now we'd have to miss a good chunk of our Thanksgiving to be able to do that. Screw you Walmart. Screw you for making your employees come in on Thanksgiving and for ruining our annual Black FRIDAY hangout.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
yawn

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
This is a very good business plan actually, not only will most people have a buzz-on while shopping then, but they won't have as much money left over the next day for using at their competitors...

G

Lets all line up at 5pm on THANKSGIVING (instead of eating yourself silly) to get the 2 year old iPad 2, at the same price that it is everywhere else!!! Who's with me?

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
[citation][nom]yarmock[/nom]Lets all line up at 5pm on THANKSGIVING (instead of eating yourself silly) to get the 2 year old iPad 2, at the same price that it is everywhere else!!! Who's with me?[/citation]
And the Emerson 32-inch LCD TV!! (this has got to be < $100)

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Come on!! Really??? The same crap they will have on Thanksgiving will be at 4 other places on Friday! If you duck out on family to save $40, your family values are all sorts of screwed up!!

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I'm with the group that thinks they shouldn't be pushing Black Friday deals earlier and earlier. It is called Black FRIDAY after all. I think I'll just do all my shopping online. Holidays have just become too commercialized. I can't wait for January. Less traffic everywhere.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]mgilbert[/nom]Americans have their priorities all screwed up. Thanksgiving and Christmas aren't supposed to be about "stuff".[/citation]
You can thank the Bush Administration.

G

Holidays are way too commercialized. Shit happens though. Target is doing this too.

G

They're doing this to reduce the "crush" (quite literally) of people at any one time attempting to shop. The hardcore will come in on Thanksgiving, everyone else on Friday.

I really don't see why anyone is complaining . . . just don't shop there on Thursday . . . or any other day, for that matter. It's an option, and it would seem to be, err, healthier, for the customers.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
You know if you want to celebrate his birth then doing it a little closer to his "actual" birth day would help. Taking over other people religious day and calling it the day your religions savior was born is a rather messed up thing to do and to celebrate it as a great day is even worse.

G

Walmart are a-holes for doing this & anyone who shops there on Thankgiving is an a-hole by association. Disgraceful!

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
My idea to go to a Black Friday at a Walmart, would be to set up a great big table blocking the entrance to an extent, line it will all great home cooked meals, nicely decorated, wine, music, no cell phones, just family and some invited friends, baked goods, the works, some little gifts maybe, and really LACE into every person that walks into that Walmart, just randomly beat the living bejeezus out of them, and then sit back down and resume dinner.

G

Yes get out and get the last of the windows 7 computers before the Iron curtain of windoze 8 closes off the last avenue of escape, and chairman Ballmer blots out the sun! They're stringing up the concertina wire as I post!

Status
Not open for further replies.