Walmart's Straight Talk Unlimited Plan Isn't Really Unlimited

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilchuk17

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I've been using StraightTalk for about a year now with my iPhone . I use wi-fi as much as possible but I have never seen my speeds slow on 3g. I use Google Maps nearly every time I get in the car, plus streaming iheartradio or Pandora. I even use it as a hotspot every now and then. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. Honestly I've never looked at my data usage per month but since I've never been throttled I don't see the need.

Archer870

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
I am on the ST plan,using an LG Dynamic (hate it). My question is,can I use an HTC One X from ATT
with relatively no problems? I will be purchasing this cell from store w/o contract. Thanks in advance
for your help.

86straitsqwalk

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
sorry folks,none of these numbers are true.

my service was throttled and then shut off at around 500-600 mb.i had this go on for 3 months.on the 4th month the service was throttled from day 1 - day 30. when they say 'throttle' they mean CHOKE: my verified (throttled) d.load speeds were 0-2 KBPS, ocasionally jumping 'up' to 40-80 kbps for a few seconds and then going back to 0-2 kbps. i was NEVER notified previous to the throttling as they promise in their TOS.when i called about this i was never told i was a 'high data user' (their term) and cust.service was always puzzled as to why i was being throttled or cut off. then i started to get transferred to a dead-end pre-recorded phone message informing me i was a 'high data user' for unknown reasons , given some advice and then told there was nothing anyone could do for me about this.

i found this to be untenable and illegal so i filed a complaint with the ftc.i strongly suggest you do the same as s.talk is still pretending this is only an issue for a few policy breaking individuals.all of my usage was proper,untethered,and well under 1 gb a month so forget the s.talk propaganda numbers - there are NO SPECIFICS in their TOS and this allows them to do anything to anyone at anytime - read it for yourself - their are no stated limits only vague examples.i complianed to the ftc about this lack of specifics as it means their customers have no rights or recourse,and you 'agree' to this by using their 'service'.

p.s. you will NEVER get a rebate for the decline in or loss of your data 'service' - another illegality in my view.below is response #1 from s.talk............

Re: File No.13-C0049xxxx-x
>
> Federal Communications Commission
>
>
>
> Dear Axxx xxxxxxxxxx:
>
>
> We are in receipt of your complaint referenced above.
>
>
>
> We have attempted to contact you 248-xxx-xxxx, but have been unable to reach
> you.
>
>
>
> At your earliest convenience, please contact me at 800-876-5753
> Ext 6046. If you prefer you may also contact me via e-mail at
> drivera@tracfone.com<mailto:drivera@tracfone.com>, so that we may address
> your complaint.
.....no name,job title,department or professionalism either......................
btw after 5 of these useless emails i had to refer the whole thing back to the ftc as d.rivera never responded to 1 of my specific questions or concerns or original complaint issues!

Warden218

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
I have had the straight talk unlimited plan for approx 3 years now and haven't had a n issue with their "unlimited" plan to also include "unlimited data" until just recently when my usage had evidently exceeded 2GB and was CUT OFF COMPLETELY, completely as in I can not use data, rec/send pic messages, upload to FB, use the maps app that comes standard on most (if not all) of their smartphones or even use navigation!!!!!! It's BS! I figured okay whatever I'll connect thru wifi to use FB and within 4 days of connecting via wifi straight talk then blocked FB from being utilized on their network on my account!! so believe it people straight talks so called "unlimited" talk,text & data plan IS IN FACT NOT TRUELY UNLIMITED and does have a limit! Sill don't believe it....simply download a data tracking app & exceed 2GB ( your own risk) & see for yourself!!!

86straitsqwalk

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

This confirms that S.Talk plays fast and loose with their so-called UMlimited (joke) 'service' (another joke) customers. Everyone I've talked with has a different tale to tell but the RESULTS ARE THE SAME: suddenly throttled or lost services (usually data) no explanations, excuses that we are misusing their service phrased in the vaguest of terms,etc These are exactly the meat of my FTC complaint, which S.Talk has never addressed in their correspondence to me - they continue to harp on the TOS as if that explained anything,and STILL HAVE NOT EXPLAINED THE REASONS FOR THEIR ACTIONS specific to my complaints over 4 months. I have forwarded their time wasting replies to the FTC also and will probably open a NEW complaint about their lack of response to my very specific complaints.

I encourage everyone here to join the class action law suit being organized now against s.sqwalk. I believe you can search online for the law firm handling this.Also let the FTC know about your issues, both actions are only a few minutes of your time. Best of luck and thanks to tom's for hosting this. P>S> s.talk often monitors complaint forums like these and has a 'member' either defend them publicly or send you private messages offering to help you .just a heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.