WAMP Server Url

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
I am hosting a website currently through WAMP and I registered a free domain off of [my.dot.tk]. The problem is, when I type in my website Domain and it connects, the search bar changes from the Domain name back to my ip, which is something I don't want happening. Does anyone know of any solutions to this?

Solution
I'm sure there's going to be some free domain name providers that will give you control over your DNS zone...

I was with net-me.net for a while. You're not usually going to get a second level domain (xyz.something) for free, though.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014

Considering it is changing it to my ip, I would prefer not to post the link for everyone to see.

You can always find the IP a website is hosted from simply by running a DNS query - your browser does this every time it visits a site (except for some caching I'll ignore), but doesn't display the result to the end user.

I'd also not recommend hosting a site on a residential connection.

Feel free to PM it, though.

It looks like the page on the actual website is nothing more than a redirect to the IP that shows up in your address bar. The site resolves to a different IP than the one in your address bar.

I think this might be trouble with your hosting/domain provider, given the redirect goes through their servers.

Do you have access to the DNS controls for the domain? If so, make an A record for the @ domain that points to the 72.x IP that shows in your address bar. I'd also suggest a CNAME for www.@ that points to @

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
It seems that the domain is running through https://my.freenom.com/. It does offer the ability to Manage your DNS, but when you go to click on it, it states "Zone is not active yet". I would prefer not to pay for a domain name as I just was doing this for fun, but if I can't fix this issue through their domain hosting service then I guess I am out of luck.