Question Wan ip question

May 8, 2019
When i set up my modem it gives me a dynamic wan ip which is good but when i add 801.2x on my router it changes it to my unique machine ip is this normal? Do i need to set up a static ip first or something? My lan is good but its not asigning them Sorry im not very network savy.

Also i noticed in my router basic settings it says network and that it's always using 40 to 150 mps 10-20 min after i restart it even when i am not useing it. Im the only conection, or is that my internet speed ? I only have 100 mbs internet. My speed test runs between 60-112 mbs dwn 1-3 mbs up

It is very unclear what you are asking. 802.1x is a security method that is used in wifi and can be used on ethernet ports. Generally home users do not know this even exists so maybe you mean something else.

You should not have actual traffic passing through your router when you are not using it. Now windows does download patches and stuff without telling you it is doing it. Some other software like browser may do the same thing. Your router unless you key it in will think you have a gigbit connection so I don't know where you are seeing those speeds. It does not know there is a modem limiting it, you could just as easily have a fiber ONT box that an run 1gbit.

Your speedtest are correct most ISP set the actual limit a little above what you pay for so that customers don't complain. You tend to be happy if you get 112 most times and the couple time it does not run 100mbps you forgive because it runs faster most the time.

May 8, 2019
When i set up my modem it gives me a dynamic wan ip which is good but when i add 801.2x on my router it changes it to my unique machine ip is this normal? Do i need to set up a static ip first or something? My lan is good but its not asigning them Sorry im not very network savy.

Also i noticed in my router basic settings it says network and that it's always using 40 to 150 mps 10-20 min after i restart it even when i am not useing it. Im the only conection, or is that my internet speed ? I only have 100 mbs internet. My speed test runs between 60-112 mbs dwn 1-3 mbs up
when
It is very unclear what you are asking. 802.1x is a security method that is used in wifi and can be used on ethernet ports. Generally home users do not know this even exists so maybe you mean something else.

You should not have actual traffic passing through your router when you are not using it. Now windows does download patches and stuff without telling you it is doing it. Some other software like browser may do the same thing. Your router unless you key it in will think you have a gigbit connection so I don't know where you are seeing those speeds. It does not know there is a modem limiting it, you could just as easily have a fiber ONT box that an run 1gbit.

Your speedtest are correct most ISP set the actual limit a little above what you pay for so that customers don't complain. You tend to be happy if you get 112 most times and the couple time it does not run 100mbps you forgive because it runs faster most the time.
i turn on my router it changes my wan ip and uses that when im on lan xx.xx.xx.xxx normal is xxx.xxx.xx.xxx

May 8, 2019

Crap im sorry i ment 100 gigs

May 8, 2019

I just know after i enabled 801x2 a message poped up and it switched my wan ip from 192.xxx.xx.xx to like 34.xx.xxx.xx and thats what ip is showing publicly over lan.

May 8, 2019
A
I just know after i enabled 801x2 a message poped up and it switched my wan ip from 192.xxx.xx.xx to like 34.xx.xxx.xx and thats what ip is showing publicly over lan.
As for the network speeds i see them in the browser admin setup. Under basic settings. I has a network data chart /router diagram/ active users paskey router spectrum