Wan Repeater and health issues.

Rahul91

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Hi,
I don't know if its the right section or even such questions are answered here so I will post it here and if its against the policy of forum or such questions are not answered here i will close the post,

So here's my question or rather a doubt,
yesterday I asked my ISP for better plans and they gave me some high speed plans, they also informed me that my area has low signals, as my ISP works on WAN and they have tower at about 2-3 kms aerial distance, and they offered to install a WAN router on 2nd floor of my building which is basically open space with no ceiling,

they offered 50% off for any plans that I may choose if I install router, which does sound tempting so i have been thinking I know that cellphone telecommunication towers do cause serious health issues over long term exposure to radiation emitted,

so my question is the does the WAN repeater also causes health problems?
I don't know specific details of the said WAN repeater I know that it's a 2 sq foot equipment, also i asked them directly about this and they said that it wont cause any health problems,

Kindly help in this matter,
Thank you.

Solution
My guess would be they are using unlicensed equipment because it is much more involved to get a license to put radio equipment in your building. This would mean the output of the device is actually no higher than any router you can buy in a retail store. The way they get the signal to go that kind of distance is to use a special antenna that concentrates the power into a narrow beam. It is unlikely if you even stood in this beam it would matter. Your microwave oven likely leaks more energy that a wifi router can put out.

You likely will not even be able to detect the signal going back to the main tower because of how much they concentrate the signal. Now the signal from the router to your end devices will be like any...

Rahul91

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

Yes they want to extend their network as my area has low signals, and it would be on the top of my building. I get that it may not affect me but will it affect neighbors? and how bad will be the radiation?

Rahul91

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

They said its a repeater personally i don't have any idea but my isp provides connection via WAN so i guess its a WAN repeater.

All incoming connections from an ISP are "WAN" connections. ( wide area network) as opposed to LAN (local area network). That doesnt tell you what type of WAN.

Rahul91

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

I clearly lack details of the device what I know is that its going to take 2-4 sq foot space and its a repeater for their main tower which is about 2-3 km away, does this information help?

My guess would be they are using unlicensed equipment because it is much more involved to get a license to put radio equipment in your building. This would mean the output of the device is actually no higher than any router you can buy in a retail store. The way they get the signal to go that kind of distance is to use a special antenna that concentrates the power into a narrow beam. It is unlikely if you even stood in this beam it would matter. Your microwave oven likely leaks more energy that a wifi router can put out.

You likely will not even be able to detect the signal going back to the main tower because of how much they concentrate the signal. Now the signal from the router to your end devices will be like any other router.

Now if this was something like a cell tower they were going to put in your house that is licensed radio so they would likely provide you reports on what frequieces and power they are using. This is something the must file with the government. It is highly unlikely this is a installation like that they would generally pay you to put equipment on your building....mostly to prevent you from making them remove it soon after it was installed and costing them all the money it took to get all the permits and licenses.

Solution

Rahul91

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

as its a repeater and only takes about 2-3 sq foot i would assume you are right and to be sure i will read documents they may make me sign for frequency it will emit before committing.

also i just talked to them, they said the same thing they don't have license for using microwaves and so use the same radio signals as a WiFi router that we have at our homes, plus it a small device that will be strapped to parapet wall's railing.

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016

I have watched a seminar from the leading telecommunications company here in greece, the power transmited is always within safety standards, but it takes them like 10 years to get a license for it, dunno if this changed recently, so they are forced to hide them illegally.