Want better gaming

jrosen1051

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
I have a Dell 3847 inspiron using intergrated graphics and I think a 300w power supply. I want to put a gtx750ti graphic card to improve gaming. Do I need to upgrade the PSU also? How high is enough? Should the graphic card work OK with the 300w PSU? Advice? Comments How high a PSU should I go?

Ensure your system has space for the card.

Can you please get the 12 volt rating in the power supply(It is on the label of the power supply itself). It is on the sticker(snap a picture if you can).

Chances are pretty good because that card is so power friendly.

jrosen1051

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

the sticker is on the power supply. You will have to remove the side panel of the computer to see it.

Something like this.
v407ev.jpg

jrosen1051

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

jrosen1051

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
PSU sticker says DELL made in china writing very small but seems to indicate mfg Namel-Lite on electronics Hope that helps define it as NOT one of the good ones you listed. If I order a corsair, would you recommend getting a little more power-like a 400? Would I have to adjust BIOS or anything or hopefully just plug in... Also if I plug in the graphic card do I need to adjust anything or should I be able to just turn it on and go.

jrosen1051

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

Most boards will auto default to dedicated video cards.

You will have to download the latest drivers from Nvidia.

I would like to help you better understand the 12 volt rail on your power supply.

Computer power supplies have one or more 12 volt rails. With single rail power supplies you have a single number for the 12 volt rail, with a multi rail setup you have more then one.

You can NOT add the rails on most power supplies and most list a combined rating.

This image may or may not be your power supply. It is a multi rail unit with 18 amps on the 12 volt rail. This is a bit low for a 300 watt unit, but should still run a 750ti.

Red is the 2 rails green is the combined and the math required to convert wattage to amps.
imrmld.jpg

Here is an example of a 300 watt power supply I have my one of my systems.
2s81npt.jpg

Not so simple, you need to do a clean graphics driver install. And don't forget to disable onboard video chip in BIOS, or at least in Device Manager.