Want cheap ink to refill HP inkjet

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
HP inkjets.

Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?

"Max -" <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
> HP inkjets.
>
> Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
> leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?

http://www.choicestationery.com/

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:51:36 +0100, "Max -"
<max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
>HP inkjets.
>
>Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
>leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?

in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting an
epson.

sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:

> in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
> an epson.

How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:30:24 +0100, "Max -"
<max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:51:36 +0100, "Max" wrote:
>>>
>>> I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to
>>> refill HP inkjets.
>>>
>>> Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and
>>> a leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?
>

>sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
>>
>> in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
>> an epson.
>>

>How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

It's not, Epson's are much worse. Utter garbage.
If you want to go to a different printer try Lexmark if you're
outputing photo-images etc...
If printing simple stuff like text get a Canon.

Have you tried Nujet.com for your ink?
Also try MIS:

http://www.missupply.com/store.cgi

gothika wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:30:24 +0100, "Max -"
> <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote:

>>sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
>>>
>>> in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
>>> an epson.
>>>

>>How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?
>
> It's not, Epson's are much worse. Utter garbage.
> If you want to go to a different printer try Lexmark if you're
> outputing photo-images etc...
> If printing simple stuff like text get a Canon.

Lexmark? This is a weird thread... previous comments I've seen on Lexmark
have related to high prices and mediocre quality.

As for Epson, my old 740 proved very unreliable. Probably due to the
compatible carts, which seemed to clog the heads (those silly "cleaning"
sheets epson produce were no good at all). It also often left white lines
in photos, even when I was using official ink. I'm currently using a C46,
but only because I was given it. I've also got a Dell branded Lexmark
hanging around as a backup, but I'll never be buying any "official" ink
for it, because they're over £40 for a pair of carts.

I'll probably go for a Canon next time, but it pains me to buy any
printer in the current market.

Dave.

jad

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

everytime this subject of printers comes up after reading the replies
you can't buy any brand because somebody somewhere had a bad
experience with one brand at some time or another. I have had Hp's
660c - 1230, Epson 777i - C60- 2x Epson large media printers, cannon
s540, Lexmark 1001
Lexmark was the worst, never did anything very well. The HP was fine
but refilling those carts was a PITA. The Epson's run flawlessly, I
don't refill any of the large media tanks as I need EXACT color
matching for production work. The S540 is a breeze to refill 4
separate color tanks, but why bother as the tanks are 6.50$. s540 is
not a photo printer but DAMN good at it.

Cheap carts for an HP are hard to come by, especially when the printer
is a newer model.

"Max -" <max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to refill
> HP inkjets.
>
> Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and a
> leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:30:24 +0100, "Max -"
<max.headroom@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:51:36 +0100, "Max" wrote:
>>>
>>> I am surprised at how expensive most dealers are for ink to
>>> refill HP inkjets.
>>>
>>> Are there any decent UK suppliers who do not charge an arm and
>>> a leg for a bottle of inkjet ink?
>

>sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
>>
>> in the long run youd be far better off ditching it and getting
>> an epson.
>>

>How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?

i can get 12 refill cartridges for my epson c660 for £18 from
www.britink.co.uk

try that with a lexmark or an HP,

they give those printers away because the ink is so dear

a canon is also a good bet

with any printer forget about the cost of the hardware and look at the
cost of the ink.

the reason the epson and canon refills are so cheap compared with hp
and lexmark is that the print head is not on the ink cartridge as it
is with the lexmark and hp.

just go to www.britink.co.uk and compare the prices for epson, canon,
hp and lexmark and then ask me the question again.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> A friend's got an Epson, was a high end model when she got it. Brilliant
> printer and yes, cheap as anything to run. But she prints stuff out every
> other day, so there's never been any problems. I had a 600 though, didn't
> use it for 2 months whilst moving. now bin fodder.

Ever searched on the net about it ? - quite often the application of a
little ammonia to the pad it sits on can sort out the dried out print
heads :-}

On 11 Aug 2004 09:39:17 GMT, Dave Higton <djhigton@hotmail.com> wrote:

>gothika wrote:

>>>How is an Epson noticeably cheaper to run than an HP?
>>
>> It's not, Epson's are much worse. Utter garbage.
>> If you want to go to a different printer try Lexmark if you're
>> outputing photo-images etc...
>> If printing simple stuff like text get a Canon.
>
>Lexmark? This is a weird thread... previous comments I've seen on Lexmark
>have related to high prices and mediocre quality.
>
>As for Epson, my old 740 proved very unreliable. Probably due to the
>compatible carts, which seemed to clog the heads (those silly "cleaning"
>sheets epson produce were no good at all). It also often left white lines
>in photos, even when I was using official ink. I'm currently using a C46,
>but only because I was given it. I've also got a Dell branded Lexmark
>hanging around as a backup, but I'll never be buying any "official" ink
>for it, because they're over £40 for a pair of carts.
>
>I'll probably go for a Canon next time, but it pains me to buy any
>printer in the current market.
>

>Dave.

True the consumer inkjet market is pretty woeful these days.
We use Lexmarks and get good quality and reliability.
I DO buy aftermarket ink and refill the cartridges.
As for the price of cartridges, aren't all brands of inkjet cartridges
overpriced?\
I buy new blanks and fill them myself.(one advantage is most brands of
aftermarket blanks aren't fused so they don't burn out after one or
two cycles. the printheads will finally go out after 15-20 uses
though.)
I also use better quality inks than the oems so they never clog or
skip.(Pantone fadeproof inks.)
We do have a couple of Canon's that we use for office work and for
simple text and graphics and they do very good work and are easy to
refill as well.(I have A BJC1000 that is a snap to refill, is cheap to
run and produce very sharp text and line-art.)
I have a BJC6000 that I picked up very cheap that does fairly good
color work.(I like it for it's separate ink tanks for each color.)
For our production runs I have a plotter that you just pour the ink
into.

lem

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Gothinka, interesting post. I think you are in the US.

gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com> wrote:

> True the consumer inkjet market is pretty woeful these days.
> We use Lexmarks and get good quality and reliability.
> I DO buy aftermarket ink and refill the cartridges.
> As for the price of cartridges, aren't all brands of inkjet
> cartridges overpriced?

I reckon the replacement ink market is pretty overpriced. £10 for
two 40 ml bottles in Dixons. OK, so who really goes to Disxons for
a bargain - no one. However Dixons and such stores help set a
benchmark price.

> I buy new blanks and fill them myself.(one advantage is most
> brands of aftermarket blanks aren't fused so they don't burn
> out after one or two cycles. the printheads will finally go
> out after 15-20 uses though.)

Where do you get aftermarket blank cartridges from?

I would like to get some which are for HP and are specifically
designed for refilling by having a hole already in the top.

> I also use better quality inks than the oems so they never
> clog or skip.(Pantone fadeproof inks.)

Where do you buy that Pantone ink from? Google seems to suggest
that Pantone is for artists. Perhaps your ink is "Pantone
approved" rather than made by Pantone?

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:48:00 +0100, Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote:

>Gothinka, interesting post. I think you are in the US.
>
>gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com> wrote:
>>
>> True the consumer inkjet market is pretty woeful these days.
>> We use Lexmarks and get good quality and reliability.
>> I DO buy aftermarket ink and refill the cartridges.
>> As for the price of cartridges, aren't all brands of inkjet
>> cartridges overpriced?
>
>I reckon the replacement ink market is pretty overpriced. £10 for
>two 40 ml bottles in Dixons. OK, so who really goes to Disxons for
>a bargain - no one. However Dixons and such stores help set a
>benchmark price.
>

>> I buy new blanks and fill them myself.(one advantage is most
>> brands of aftermarket blanks aren't fused so they don't burn
>> out after one or two cycles. the printheads will finally go
>> out after 15-20 uses though.)
>
>Where do you get aftermarket blank cartridges from?

www.nujet.com for blanks. Other ink companies sell them as well.

Last time I checked MIS associates sold blanks as well.

http://www.inksupply.com/

http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?source=html/cartridges.html

>I would like to get some which are for HP and are specifically
>designed for refilling by having a hole already in the top.
You can use a small drill bit to cut a hole.
Others have used a hot nail to melt a hole in their HP cartridges,
advantage of not having any shavings to contend with.(I've always
drilled mine very slowly, the shaving then stays in one piece outside
the cartridge.)
Most refill kits come with a tool for making the hole in HP's as well.
At any rate try the links.

>> I also use better quality inks than the oems so they never
>> clog or skip.(Pantone fadeproof inks.)
>
>Where do you buy that Pantone ink from? Google seems to suggest
>that Pantone is for artists. Perhaps your ink is "Pantone
>approved" rather than made by Pantone?

Pantone is a standard reference. and while there IS a company by that
name the only thing I've ever purchased from them was reference charts
and actual offset inks.
If an ink is referred to as being "pantone" it simply means that it is
a reference match ink that meets the pantone standards.(Industry
standard for the graphic arts/offset printing industry.)
Pantone inks are used for precision color matching in the graphic arts
industry.
Pantone inks used in inkjets allow you to make reference quality
proofs for the offset printers to match, ensuring no suprises when you
you get the production work back from the printers.
Using pantones designed for photographic work enable one to produce
copy from an inkjet that matches actual photographic paper tones and
colors.
I get the pantone ink I use from a local printshop that a friend of
mine has.(He uses a brand from Germany, I go in halves and cut my cost
by buying high volume wholesale.)
You shouldn't need Pantone unless you're in the pre-press/graphics
business.(They do allow better control of color matching though.)

Try this link:
http://www.vansonink.com/inkjet/index.html

Here's a link for Pantone, but their inks are very pricey:

http://www.pantone.com/aboutus/aboutus.asp?idArticle=393&idPressRelease=177

Here's a link for a London based company:

http://www.designsupply.com/

Here's a link that sheds some light on why Epsons piezio printhead
printers are fatally flawed.
Good article on the basics of correct ink type matching also.
http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html

For blanks try this link:

http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/cartridge_empties_and_blanks_325005_products.htm

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:28:28 -0500, gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com>
wrote:

>Here's a link that sheds some light on why Epsons piezio printhead
>printers are fatally flawed.
..........??
>Good article on the basics of correct ink type matching also.
>http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html

A missing link? Now I am curious. May I ask you for it?
Thanks.

Geo

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:57:42 GMT, "GEO" Me@home.here wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:28:28 -0500, gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Here's a link that sheds some light on why Epsons piezio printhead
>>printers are fatally flawed.
>.........??
>>Good article on the basics of correct ink type matching also.
>>http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html
>
> A missing link? Now I am curious. May I ask you for it?
> Thanks.
>
> Geo

Follow the link it mentions the reason early Epson printers had so
many clog problems.
>http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html

Here's the paragraph:

The ink must also be compatible with the plumbing that delivers it to
the printhead. After the introduction of one early solvent-system
piezo inkjet model, it was discovered that the ink corroded the supply
lines to the printhead, creating metal fragments that chewed up the
printheads when they got there. This was an expensive lesson for both
the manufacturer and its customers.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:39:32 -0500, gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com>
wrote:

>>http://www.screenweb.com/inks/cont/inkstrategy.html
>
>Here's the paragraph:
>
>The ink must also be compatible with the plumbing that delivers it to
>the printhead. After the introduction of one early solvent-system
>piezo inkjet model, it was discovered that the ink corroded the supply
>lines to the printhead, creating metal fragments that chewed up the
>printheads when they got there. This was an expensive lesson for both
>the manufacturer and its customers.

Thank you.

Geo