[SOLVED] Want new cell phone - but no trade in - Am I screwed?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Verizon. I still have my old Samsung S5, not qualifying for a trade in, and my son has an S7, cracked and we have replaced the battery twice, voiding any warranty, and when I look at all the deals for S21 phones or good upgrades, all the good deals are for trade ins.

My wife and daughter both have iPhones and current Verizon contracts; I am not wanting to leave Verizon, and they offer the best service in my area.

Any advice on getting a good deal replacing these S5 and S7 with no trade in?

Thanks

Solution
Verizon. I still have my old Samsung S5, not qualifying for a trade in, and my son has an S7, cracked and we have replaced the battery twice, voiding any warranty, and when I look at all the deals for S21 phones or good upgrades, all the good deals are for trade ins.

My wife and daughter both have iPhones and current Verizon contracts; I am not wanting to leave Verizon, and they offer the best service in my area.

Thanks

A lot of places offer pretty small monthly payments on new phones even on existing plans. I got one from BestBuy, Motorola Z4 with a value of about $500, for like $12 a month for two years. You don't need a new service signed up...

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks
I had an S5. After looking at Samsung phones, I opted for an unlocked A51. The A51 is available in 4G and 5G models. Look at the midrange A51 and A71 before deciding that an S21 is the best answer.

kanewolf

Titan
There are so many phones out there. I will look into the A51 and A71. If I hold onto this phone for the next five years, I want it to be a good one.
I have been pleased with the A51. It is similar size to the S5 but has 128GB storage (rather than 16GB my S5 had). I don't know about battery replacement, yet. It does have USB-C connector, so there is no "top/bottom" of the plug. Mine is also a dual SIM model.
Samsung has a migration assistant that makes swapping to a new Samsung phone trivial.

Thanks

A lot of places offer pretty small monthly payments on new phones even on existing plans. I got one from BestBuy, Motorola Z4 with a value of about $500, for like $12 a month for two years. You don't need a new service signed up but I think they do extend the existing one for the two years for the cheaper payments.

The Samsung A51 you can get now for under $11 a month https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-a51-prism-crush-black-verizon/6401461.p?skuId=6401461
It's $300 unlocked for GSM on Amazon, the 11 a month for 24 months gets it to you for about $250 and you probably won't miss paying the $11 extra per month on the bill.

You can probably look into swapping the S7 your son has also for one of those.

When I did the swap I was on a business trip with my phone having issues with the charging port, they swapped it out with the new one pretty quickly, the wait to see a tech was longer than the actual SIM card activation and getting it added to my Verizon account, so a good experience with them and there should be a store close enough to you for a drive to get things swapped out in person rather than mess with some online activation.

Last edited:
Solution