Want to backup my laptop

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I'll try to make this as short as possible. :p I have an external hard drive connected to my PC which is running Windows 7 Home Premium. My laptop is running Windows 7 Professional. I want to backup my laptop to the external hard drive connected to my PC over my wireless home network. Both the PC and laptop are part of the HomeGroup set up in Windows 7 and I have shared my external hard drive so the laptop can see it.

Now, when I tried setting up the laptop backup using Windows 7 built-in backup I can choose the external hard drive on the network however, it asks me to input a user name and password. I never set up an admin user name and password on either computer. Is this what it is looking for and if so how do I set it up? Can what I want to do even be done or do I just move my external hard drive back and forth between both computers to do the backups?

Solution
If you didn't setup a unique name and password, you can look in control panel, and system, to find the name Windows assigned your computer when you installed it. Either use or change that name (because the name is not easy to remember), and assign a password in user accounts under control panel. You CAN leave the password blank, but I wouldn't recommend it.
backing up wirelessly will be very slow. are you only trying to backup certain folders or do you want to backup your entire windows installation? You may want to consider making an image of your drive to the external hard disk while it is locally connected to the computer.

09121223305353457_f0_0.jpg
Clonezilla is a Free & Open Source Software for Disk Imaging and Cloning. You can make a Full System Backup or transfer the entire contents of one drive to another if you are doing a Hard drive upgrade.

How to use Clonezilla Step By Step instructions with pictures!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
If you didn't setup a unique name and password, you can look in control panel, and system, to find the name Windows assigned your computer when you installed it. Either use or change that name (because the name is not easy to remember), and assign a password in user accounts under control panel. You CAN leave the password blank, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Solution