[SOLVED] Want to double/triple my speed by buying a new/used comp for around $500. recommendations?

IntrepidBongos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Question: Looking to double or triple my computer speed by buying a new computer. I currently have a Dell w/ MSI motherboard A88XM - E45 V2 AKA, MS 7721, with an AMD A8 - 7600 Radeon R7, 10 compute cores, 4C+6G, 3100 Mhz 2 core(s), 4 logical processors, running on an SSD with windows 10 pro, 16GB RAM, and I am experiencing some lag while using multiple programs simultaneously.
I want to get a new or used computer for under $500 that bumps up my speed by double or triple. (If possible) Any suggestions?
And another question, Can I just swap out my system SSD and put it in another machine?
Thanks.
IB

Solution
Apologies. Kind of a newbie when it comes to the Whole computer speed, GHz, vs RAM, etc conversation.

CPU: 3100 Mhz (I think 3.10 Ghz)
RAM 16GB

The SSD question:
What I mean is can I avoid having to re-install windows 10 on a new/used computer by installing my current system SSD, and might there be any incompatibility problems as a result?
Thanks.
IB
For a new system, start here:

For your drive+OS going into a new/different system, there are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails compeltely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

#2 & 3 are the most likely. A clean install is strongly...

IntrepidBongos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Apologies. Kind of a newbie when it comes to the Whole computer speed, GHz, vs RAM, etc conversation.

RAM 16GB

The SSD question:
What I mean is can I avoid having to re-install windows 10 on a new/used computer by installing my current system SSD, and might there be any incompatibility problems as a result?
Thanks.
IB

kanewolf

Titan

RAM 16GB

The SSD question:
Thanks.
IB
A motherboard change usually REQUIRES a fresh OS install. Don't plan on moving a disk to a different motherboard. PLAN on doing a complete install.
How are you measuring "speed" ??? Render time? FPS? Excel calculation time?
Knowing WHAT you are using the hardware for is as important as knowing what hardware you start with.

USAFRet

Titan

RAM 16GB

The SSD question:
Thanks.
IB
For a new system, start here:

For your drive+OS going into a new/different system, there are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails compeltely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

#2 & 3 are the most likely. A clean install is strongly recommended, usually required.

Solution

IntrepidBongos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Got it. Thanks. I'm just looking for a faster computer out of the box , than the one I have now, since it lags when I have several programs open at the same time, like Word, Dragon dictate, Dropbox, iTunes and, my chrome browser open at the same time. with all of these open, sometimes a simple search of my drives takes 30 seconds before that are searched, microsoft photo viewer takes 5 seconds to load a photos, and other programs lag. I just want faster overall performance than what I have now.
IB

Got it. Thanks. I'm just looking for a faster computer out of the box , than the one I have now, since it lags when I have several programs open at the same time, like Word, Dragon dictate, Dropbox, iTunes and, my chrome browser open at the same time. with all of these open, sometimes a simple search of my drives takes 30 seconds before that are searched, microsoft photo viewer takes 5 seconds to load a photos, and other programs lag. I just want faster overall performance than what I have now.
IB

With an SSD and 16 GB of RAM your system should not be bad for basic tasks like what you are doing. Have you tried a clean Windows setup and see how it runs after that? Your CPU is old but not horrible outside of gaming and video render time.