Want to reinstall OS with 64-bit instead of 32-bit but keep other partitions

May 13, 2018
Hey everyone.

In short. I currently have a PC with a 64-bit capable CPU. (Core2Duo E5700) My machine currently runs 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate on the C: partition. I currently have a C, D and E partition on my system, and I keep my personal files on the D and E partitions. I am planning to upgrade my CPU and RAM (to a Q9450 and 8G of ram) so I can play Fortnite. However Fortnite does not support 32 bit and I have to install a 64-bit OS. How can I install the new OS on the C partition and keep my personal files? I am planning to install Windows 10 64-bit.

Solution
This would be a wonderful opportunity to convert windows to a ssd.
Disconnect your HDD and install 64 bit on the new ssd.
All you have will be preserved on the disconnected HDD, no need for backup.

When you are done, you can reconnect your HDD and all your data folders and pictures will be accusable.
You can delete the old C drive partition or just windows if you wish.
Because you are going from 32 bit to 64 bit, you will need to re install any apps that need the registry.
That is likely to be all of them.

If your settings are important to you, you can run windows easy transfer to export your settings to the HDD.
Later, you can import them back.

Ultimately, you need some sort of EXTERNAL backup for photos and whatever else you value...
during a windows install it will list all your partitions when you select the "advanced option during the install. you should be able to just select the C partition and format it then make sure that partition is selected and continue with the install. the other partitions should not be affected

May 13, 2018

https://imgur.com/lL6S4l7

Thanks. Is there any particular risk when reinstalling or are my other partitions safe?

USAFRet

Titan
Current: Win 7 U 32bit, Core2Duo E5700
New: Win 10 64bit, Q9450, 8GB RAM.

I can't stress strongly enough to have your personal files on some other drive, and disconnected during this process.
Your applications will need reinstalling anyway.

May 13, 2018

I'm trying to backup the data to an external hard drive I have, sadly it is almost full and I won't be able to get all of it, only the most important pictures and files. I could get a new external hard drive, but since I am kind of on a budget it would be a big stretch. I have a Sapphire HD 6670 with 1G of GDDR3, just trying to throw together a PC for lower end gaming. I currently game on my work laptop, luckily my boss doesn't have a problem with it. So I should 100% get a backup solution until the process is finished?

USAFRet

Titan
Anything you really can't bear to lose...have elsewhere and offline during this process.
"important pictures and files"

There are far too many ways to end up at "oops...".
We see it here every single day.

oops, I selected the wrong partition
oops, the power went out
oops, the drive died
oops, oops, oops....

Recovering a file from an external that is sitting on your desk is far preferable to trying to use some recovery software, to un-reformat your hard drive.

This would be a wonderful opportunity to convert windows to a ssd.
Disconnect your HDD and install 64 bit on the new ssd.
All you have will be preserved on the disconnected HDD, no need for backup.

When you are done, you can reconnect your HDD and all your data folders and pictures will be accusable.
You can delete the old C drive partition or just windows if you wish.
Because you are going from 32 bit to 64 bit, you will need to re install any apps that need the registry.
That is likely to be all of them.

If your settings are important to you, you can run windows easy transfer to export your settings to the HDD.
Later, you can import them back.

Ultimately, you need some sort of EXTERNAL backup for photos and whatever else you value. A usb stick can hold a very large number of photos.

Solution

since a partition is another section of the disk it "should" not. but like everyone including me will recommend to backup all your important data on a seperate drive just in case something does go wrong

May 13, 2018

Thanks for the response. As soon as it is within my budget I'll get an SSD (probably 128gb since used go for like 30$). I currently have a 32 gb flash drive I paid like 10$ for and I'm backing up the most important pictures there, my family pictures altogether take up like 15 or 20 gb so I'll be able to store plenty of work-related documents on the flash drive too. A lot of the data on the D and E partitions is essentially useless anyways (like 70 gb of movies and tv shows).