Question Want to replace stock cooler on AM4 motherboard, but worried about backplate falling out.

parmpreet1337

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
I currently have a Ryzen 5600X with a stock AMD cooler on an AM4 motherboard. The new cooler I would like to install is a Dark Rock Slim. The tutorial video shows that it is necessary to unscrew the the screws holding in the cpu backplate in order to install the cooler. However, as the motherboard is already in the case, I am concerned that this will caught the backplate to slip out of its holes.

The be quiet cooler has two separate mounting brackets that are to be screwed into the backplate. I am thinking that I could unscrew two screws, install one bracket, and then do the same with the other set of screws. Would this work? Or will it be necessary to remove the back panel to keep the backplate in space? (I barely managed to close it due to all the wires from the PSU, so I would prefer not to)

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of the case you're working with? Make and model of the motherboard and the ram you're working with?

In retrospect, if your case lacks the proper cutout to support the backplate to prevent it from falling out, you either have the wrong case to work with or might just want to do things right and remove the motherboard from the case in order to install the cooler the proper way. An improper cooler installation/improper mount on the cooler defeats the purpose of going for an aftermarket cooler(not to mention the funds you've dumped towards the aftermarket cooler).

kanewolf

Titan
I currently have a Ryzen 5600X with a stock AMD cooler on an AM4 motherboard. The new cooler I would like to install is a Dark Rock Slim. The tutorial video shows that it is necessary to unscrew the the screws holding in the cpu backplate in order to install the cooler. However, as the motherboard is already in the case, I am concerned that this will caught the backplate to slip out of its holes.

The be quiet cooler has two separate mounting brackets that are to be screwed into the backplate. I am thinking that I could unscrew two screws, install one bracket, and then do the same with the other set of screws. Would this work? Or will it be necessary to remove the back panel to keep the backplate in space? (I barely managed to close it due to all the wires from the PSU, so I would prefer not to)

Thank you.
To change to the new cooler, the safest thing would be to remove the motherboard from the case. BUT, I think if you did one side without loosening the other side, the backplate would not fall out.

parmpreet1337

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Make and model of the case you're working with? Make and model of the motherboard and the ram you're working with?

In retrospect, if your case lacks the proper cutout to support the backplate to prevent it from falling out, you either have the wrong case to work with or might just want to do things right and remove the motherboard from the case in order to install the cooler the proper way. An improper cooler installation/improper mount on the cooler defeats the purpose of going for an aftermarket cooler(not to mention the funds you've dumped towards the aftermarket cooler).

Case: Be Quiet: Pure Base 500DX
Mobo: ASUS Prime B450M-A II
Ram: 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB

If your case features a cut-out in the motherboard tray to give access to the backside of the motherboard the best thing to do is simply remove both side panels.

If it does not have a cutout the backplate may fall away from the motherboard but the length of the threaded standoffs prevent it from dropping out. That's because the gap between the motherboard and the tray isn't sufficient to allow it to. It might go down a little but you can still reach it with the screws.

But if it has a cutout in the tray you should remove the back panel to catch it and prevent it from dropping away. Other than that, if the mounting method of the new cooler allows you can remove only one of the two stock plastic mounting clips at a time. The other one will retain the back plate in position until you get the first screw and spacer positioned for the new cooler mount which will hold the backplate while you remove the second plastic clip and position the other screw(s) and standoffs. Can be a bit tricky but it's not hard to do.