Want to Tom's Hardware website redesigned? I did it!

LiquidART

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Hi everyone!

I don't have good spelling skill in English, so please forgive some mistakes.

I'm web-designer from Russia and was looking for news-site project for my portfolio.
And because Tom's Hardware always helps me pick best solutions i decided to do a conception.

Now it's done, check out on Behance: https://www.behance.net/gallery/47930239/Toms-Hardware-Material-Redisign-Conception

I hope it gonna be on real site because existing design really outdated.

Why i'm posting it here and not write to administration?
Well... i have seen few times companies launch new design and users hates it, mostly because EVERYTHING is changed and no one knows where information they looking for.
I was trying to avoid that problem, but anyway there's need for your feedback.

And of course i interested to hear your opinion :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I like it. It's a little more 'friendly', I like the pictures. The general feel is welcoming, and visually its comfortable.

My only question. Is it mobile friendly. I spend 95% on cell phone, not pc websites, so mobile friendly is a must

LiquidART

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

Thanks for answer!

It has almost same functionality, so it should be friendly.
Some blocks, like "Best picks" changes to a slider on mobile to use space more efficiently(and it can reacts to finger-sliding, like in many applications or mobile OSs).
Now latest topics and subscribe blocks doesn't disappear on mobile.
Also to view more content in "latest news", "featured articles" you can just tap "more" button, which obviously easier than with small page buttons.

I think there is one thing can be improved: add search and login buttons to the header on cell phones, and make logo smaller.

it certainly is an interesting design. a little impractical in some areas which i dont care for but certainly fairly pleasing to look at.

outdated design is an opinion. i think content and ease of accessing the content is more important but i do agree it is a design from the 00's

i wouldnt get your hopes up about it being used though. if anything the site will be looking more like toms guide's redesign.

randomizer

Champion

Only a few times? I can't think of a time when this hasn't happened. :lol:

LiquidART

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

But Tom's Guide has different structure which will create a lot pain to old users. I recommend at least don't change structure significantly.

And areas where this design impractical can be changed.
That's why i need feedback in case administration decide to work with my conception.
So if you have time please write in which areas you think it impractical and why.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Be careful here. Don't turn your project into a sales pitch to the TH developers. Self promotion and advertising is not allowed.