Question Want to upgrade MB & CPU but keep my GTX 2070S for now, best future proof choices?

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
As per the title, I’m starting a new build and want to invest in a solid midrange MB and CPU for gaming. To take it one step at a time, I thought I would keep my GTX 2070s for now, so the new motherboard needs to be compatible with that.

Other than that restraint, I’m willing to invest in an up to date MB, and I’d like to get something that will be viable for the foreseeable future.

Just looking for general advice at this point, like what socket and chipset would be the best option.
Thanks!

with no actual expected performance, no price range, and no particular developer mentioned;
get the highest-end line of the newest series of CPU from whatever developer you prefer.

Intel: i9-13900KS
AMD: Ryzen 9 7950X3D

plus a higher-end board and at least 16GBx2 DDR5 8000 RAM to support whichever path you choose to take.

if you actually have a price range in mind and when exactly you may be planning on upgrading this GPU then a more moderate option could be offered.

I would say a B650E mobo and a 7800X3D would be a great choice if the budget allows it.

The platform is not end of life and would support next gen chips...

Can we know the location and the budget you are working with?

And also the current cooler, case and PSU model to check the overall compatibility.