[SOLVED] Want to upgrade my GTX 960

Dec 16, 2021
I'd like to upgrade my GTX 960 for gaming. I'd like some recommendations for an upgrade as this is the first time I'm attempting to update my PC. Please keep the recommendations around $200 or less. I realize this isn't the highest end of gaming for the price, but this is the range I'd like to keep my purchase in. Even recommended cards that are a year or so out of date, that are better than mine, would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Alienware desktop.

Motherboard:
Baseboard Product 0PGRP5
Version A02

Intel Core i-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Solution
First try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Next, look at the power supply cables. Your GTX960 should have a single 6 pin pcie cable connected. If that is all you have, your graphics upgrades will be limited.

You should look for a significant boost in capability.
Otherwise, you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
Tom's gpu hierarchy tier list can give you a good idea:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
I would look for at...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not going to find much for $200. Oddly, you could probably get a GTX960 4GB for that. GTX1060 6GB might be possible if you get lucky on ebay, a few have sold for that recently.

Rest of the system is a little dated as well. I suggest continuing to use this as long as possible and start saving for a complete replacement (which is about the only way to get a reasonably priced GPU) Would probably avoid Alienware.

First try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Next, look at the power supply cables. Your GTX960 should have a single 6 pin pcie cable connected. If that is all you have, your graphics upgrades will be limited.

You should look for a significant boost in capability.
Otherwise, you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
Tom's gpu hierarchy tier list can give you a good idea:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
I would look for at least a GTX1660 class card.

Good luck at finding anything good new or used at a reasonable price.
At the beginning of next year, Intel should release their mid range cards to give amd and nvidia some price competition.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Confirm if you have the 240W power supply or the 330W one. I suspect it is the larger.

Standard dual slot 10.5" cards should work. So none of the big high end cards, and yes, 150W GPU limit, so single 6-pin only.

GTX 1660, GTX 1660 Super, and GTX1660Ti at the base TDP ratings.

Might be an RTX 2060 Mini out there that runs off a six-pin.

Shouldn't be any of the late models compatible.

Hi muttonchoptim. On Ebay US, your best choice within a $200 budget appears to be the GTX 1060 3GB. The 3GB version is noticeably cheaper than the 6, because they are poorer performing in crypto mining, and most of those I see going for closer to $250. I wish you the best when finding the most powerful GPU for your budget, but I'd surprised and impressed if you did better than the 1060 3GB, within the constraints of your budget. Good luck, and please let us know how you make out.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...73&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

Addendum: What I would do:

One other possibility is for you to wait until next month and see if the RX 6500 XT and RX 6400 GPUs hit the market. If they do, then I recommend that you set alerts on the NowinStock site (google queries below), to give you a fighting chance of purchasing one before others do. Also, I would try to ring as much performance out of your GTX 960 as possible, by downloading the latest Nvidia Geforce drivers for your GTX 960. But before installing them, I would run DDU (Display Drivers Uninstaller), select GPU, select Nvidia, then reboot option. Then when your system boots back into Windows you'll notice that the resolution will be temporarily very low, therefore all text and icons will be huge. THEN install those drivers that you previously downloaded, do custom install, but uncheck the Nvidia audio drivers; those drivers usually mess with sound defaults in applications such as discord. Leave all other default options checked. To recap, I would install Geforce drivers only (skip Geforce experience for now). Then I would custom install drivers and uncheck Nvidia audio drivers. Again, I'm making the assumption that a new generation GPU will be compatible with your i5-4460 platform rig. This is what I would personally do in your situation.

google query: nowinstock.net rx 6500 xt
google query: nowinstock.net rx 6400

Last edited: